1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft denies Windows 8.1 Update 2 plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I wonder how long it will take to update Windows 8 when it's near end of support.
    Due to no SP2 for Windows 7 we already have to spend an hour or two after installing W7SP1 downloading gigabytes of updates (if you don't slipstream).

3. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Considering Microsoft release an .iso version of Windows 8.1 Update when it released, there aren't many fixes since then to install.
    In comparison to Windows 7 which has nearly 200 patches since SP1 it doesn't look like Windows 8 will end up in that state.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea because Windows 8.1 isn't going to get anywhere near the 200, whoops i mean 601 patches that Windows 7 has received in the three years since SP1.

After all it's only been 9 months since 8.1 and we have 118 updates so far.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That's some pretty awesome after sales support when you think about it. :)

6. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

If the shift to a free ISO download for every build, they would be able to reduce bandwidth and power on their update centre, people who plan on doing a rebuild, could simply download the ISO and install.

When I rebuild from win 8, I had to patch, update to 8.1 and patch again took most of a day.

Oh and why? My tech net generated key won't work with windows 8.1 ISO. :l

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

A trend that is about to change as they also announced they will only provide updates for the latest version of Internet Explorer starting in 2016, only a question of time until Microsoft Operating Systems get the same treatment.