1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lian Li unveils PC-Q19 slim HTPC case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mitch311

mitch311 What's a Dremel?

Nice to see another manufacturer using a riser card but at almost 50cm height I would be concerned about stability. Using stated dimensions gives a volume of ~22.5 litres, roughly double that of the Silverstone SG05. From the images I'm guessing that the stated width includes the separate base as the case looks slimmer than 160mm. Would be nice to know what the actual case width is.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You guess wrong: the dimensions are shown at the top of the official product page, and the case is 160mm thick without bundled stand.

4. mitch311

I did see that on the official page and I am wondering if Lian Li have made a mistake with that image. What I was looking at was the image further down the product page showing the vented pci brackets. That image makes the case 'look' slimmer than 160mm just from the size of the brackets relative to the perceived width of the case.
    It also seems strange because you don't need a pci riser to fit a graphics card in a case that is 160mm wide so they are adding unnecessary height to the case making it more unstable if it is placed vertically.

5. Gareth Halfacree

If they have, they've repeated it in the press release: "The 22L PC-Q19 has a slim profile of 160mm (6.2”), and supports the essential hardware for those looking for a sleek build for the home or office."
    I did some measuring: the expansion brackets in this picture are 200 pixels tall on the button. An expansion bracket I happened to have sculling around my desk is 124mm tall. So, each pixel in that image represents 0.62mm. The case is 194 pixels wide, meaning if the scale is right then the case as pictured is 120mm wide. The feet lower down are 297 pixels wide, meaning 184mm.

[​IMG]

In other words: I have no idea where Lian Li is getting 160mm from. The feet are wider (although that could be a trick of perspective, depending on how far back from the case they reach) and the case is narrower. Huh. I'll drop their PR guy an email, see if he can shed some light on it. Nice catch!

Last edited: 26 Aug 2014
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Got a reply from Lian Li's PR chappy.
    That's from actually measuring a case that was in front of him - so it's quite significantly thinner than Lian Li's press release and product page claim. Whoops!

7. mitch311

That certainly is a lot thinner. At least now I don't need to book an eye test :D