1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sims 4 pirates attacked by pixels

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Panos

Panos Minimodder

That's great. I do not see the issue, and feels less intrusive than standard drmware attached to the systems.

3. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

I think it's a great. It provides people with an extended demo (which seem to be lacking) & if they want to continue they can do so by buying a full version of the game & actually contribute to the game studio/developers.

4. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

An imaginative way of combating a problem - I like it!

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I am all for this, finally game creators are doing something about it rather than whine about piracy and slap DRM on as their default anti-piracy action

6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Ah, but how does it detect if the game is pirated? That's what matters. It could still be an intrusive, offensive, and insecure heap of crap, just a FUNNY intrusive, offensive, insecure piece of crap.

I'd rather have a self-contained system that simply yells at you before it crashes to the desktop than a funny rootkit.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Games are so bloody cheap now, other than impatience, why bother with pirated games anymore? Sure it'll launch at full price, but it'll be half that or less at the next steam/origin/GMG/whatever sale.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

People still pirate games?!

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

*Looks back at BF4, SimCity + SimCity Cities of Tomorrow, Dead Space*

I don't blame 'em.

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have all those games though, mostly by accident! I own them all legitimate - but i've never played them. It's so much easier to not pirate games these days, get updates, play online. etc.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I agree although considering the BF4 release troubles and the SimCity troubles I'm not surprised to see people pirating a game on release to see if the thing works/is what it claims to be. And we know EA aren't the only ones doing it.

12. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Are we sure this isn't just a "minecraft" mode?

I did pirate one game fairly recently to see whether I was prepared to drop £40 on it after a few questionable games from the distributor, but other than that it had been 6 years since I pirated anything. I will and do pay for anything I use and these glitches seem perfect as long as they give people a decent demo of the game.

13. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

What happened to reading some reviews and looking at the user comments on Steam/metacritic to weigh up whether or not to buy the game? This whole "I pirate it to try before I buy" argument really is pretty weak these days.

It's not like you're _ever_ buying blind nowadays either...unless you're buying day one...but even then, what game is SO important to a persons life that they can't just wait a few days to see what the gaming community makes of the game.

14. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I'll take your argument against this argument, and raise you one Arkham Knight :p

On a more serious level, this is correct. Just wait 2-3 or 4-5 days and you've got plenty of reviews at your disposal, provided your google-fu is up to par ;). Another month and you got a massive steam sale that'll knock the price down any wheres from 50-90%.

On the other hand you gotta be careful, steam sales rape your wallet before you can file for bankruptcy. :worried:

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Which was my exact view. BUT companies buying reviews, biased reviewers, customer campaigns, features changed or removed, misleading video pre-release, reviews from outlets that don't know but want clicks and on and on. Before it was a case of finding a reviewer, normally with similar tastes and opinions but there are so many things to take into account. I paid out for games I just haven't played and have no way of selling my games on. If there is any reasonable doubt a little pirate to test isn't bad as long as you do pay for what you use.

In no way do I condone pure pirating. I could easily pirate music, but pay for Deezer and sometimes even a CD. Movies are Netflix (and VPN/DNS), Play and a trip to the movies now and again. Games are Steam and HumbleBundle.

16. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Alternatively, find someone streaming it on Twitch.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I miss demos.

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The user reviews on Steam (if you're buying on Steam, of course) are probably the best source of intel on a given game....doesn't take long for a few dozen/hundred/thousand reviews to come in...and generally speaking, they're bang on the money.

If you're not sure about a game...just don't buy it! It's only a game lol...your life will continue without it :p

19. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Surely EA should pay YOU to play the Sims?

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Reviews will not tell you how a game runs on your system, BF4 comes to mind.

While I understand what you mean, do I just stop doing everything that I'm unsure about? :p