1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung Gear VR priced at £150

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I am getting the note edge when its out and although I would really like to get the VR. I just cant see myself parting with 150 quid for what really is a fancy version of google cardboard.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

This.

4. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Its far better than GC, its like saying, i don't want a PlayStation 4 because its just a fancy version of the ps2

Dont think its works with the note edge, thats why i went with the normal note

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why is it better than Google cardboard ? Aren't they both just phone holders, one made from £150 worth of plastic and the other from recycled loo paper.

6. megamale

megamale Minimodder

I couldn't find a conclusive answer to this. Will I be able to use the Samsung VR to play normal PC games that support the Oculus Rift like Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous? Or is it limited to mobile games?

7. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

better tracking due the he internals of the GVR, better lens, touch pad & return button, volume controls all nicely placed and easy to use & has a focus wheel.
    Another plus is the fact Oculus are handling the software,
    you really need to try them both to understand the differences they have atm, not to say GC wont improve or even be better than the GVR one day.

8. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

No, talk of an app in progress to stream from PC to GC & GVR, but im sure it will have problems with lag,,
    Your best with a DK2 or wait for the final Rift to arrive, maybe late 2015?

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

£150 still seems a lot to pay for that, i was expecting a price of less that £100 :miffed:

10. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

before they gave the release price i said i wouldn't pay more than £100 for it, after looking over a couple of reviews i changed me mind & went for it lol

If you have a note 4 I would say its worth getting, very easy way to jump in to VR without the hassle you get with the DK

Another reason the GVR runs better & looks better than the GC is because the apps for the GVR are made to run on the note 4 & 1440p screen, GC apps are made to run on lower powered phones with lower res screens

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I image this being pushed as an addon/sweetener for people buying the new Note.

I doubt they'll expect to sell many at full whack without a phone on launch and for later adopters it wouldn't surprise me if the price is closer to the £100 mark often mentioned.

12. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

I think your rite, they sold out back in December
    but with the sales going very well & still a high demand for the GVR, I doubt they will drop to £100 any time soon.

2 of my friends are getting note 4s after playing with my GVR, so it looks to be helping sell notes