1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft pulls faulty SHA-2 patch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Oct 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I am having an issue since Thursday where my system will freeze for a few seconds with dwm.exe pushing the CPU to 100%. Could this be caused by this faulty patch?

There seems to be no list of symptoms caused by the patch such as BSODs or the like unlike last time.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So far, Microsoft hasn't publicly stated symptoms - at least, not as far as I've been able to find. Given that it's not a patch that fixes a critical vulnerability or bug, I'd say try uninstalling the patch and see if things improve!

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I will ty that, and I am grateful that you have posted this article! Thank you!

Unfortunately I was unable to provoke the error in any way to invesigate. Hopefully uninstalling the patch will fix the issues.

Still I wonder: What is he right way to update in the future? Wait a month for any problems to arise and risk a possibly vulnerable system or update immediately and risk a crashed system? :(

5. zenobia

zenobia What's a Dremel?

I guess I need to use magnifying glass to see that code.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm wondering how common problems with this patch are? I updated mine and my partner's PCs, last Wednesday morning and, so far, neither of us have any problems. We are both on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

[ignore]

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Couldn't see that particular update in my list so must have dodged the bullet with this one.

9. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Trying to get to this article and/or comments from the front page is giving a 502 Bad Gateway msg.

If it's my end np ...but could be yours?