1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ASRock Z97 Pro 3 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 Nov 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Given the similarity between the logos, is ASRock anything to do with Asus? A subsidiary or something?

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

ASRock was originally spun off from Asus in 2002 in order to compete with companies like Foxconn for the commodity OEM market. Since then, ASRock has also gained momentum in the DIY sector and plans for moving the company upstream began in 2007 following a successful IPO on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.[1]

In 2010 it become part of Pegatron.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Looks like a good choice for anyone upgrading an old PC on a tight budget.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

How have I never noticed this? For shame

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have an older ASRock board, which I love, so perhaps I'm a little biased, but it looks like a bargain to me. It also looks like Asus, MSI and Gigabyte can't compete with it at this price point. Maybe it is a bit thin on features, but the competition offerings at the same price are positively skinny.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2014
  7. faugusztin

No idea :).

@Spreadie: The problem for others is that ASRock competes with price even in higher end. Z97 Extreme6 is cheaper than most of higher end boards of competitors, and Z97 Extreme 9 with the PLX chip is priced well under any other PLX enabled board.

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Erm...the what? Does that just mean OEM parts for pre-built PCs, or completely different appliances?

My main issue would be whether they have a better customer service/RMA process than Asus. I have estranged myself from the latter.

9. faugusztin

Pegatron and Asustek is complex mess, but in the end ASRock has nothing with ASUS these days. ~20% of Pegatron is still owned by Asustek, but they are independent companies.

To be exact - there was Asustek. Then they created a lowend brand to compete with Foxconn and other lowends - ASRock. Then ASUS decided to split in ASUS, Pegatron and Unihan in 2008. Then ASUS sold ASRock to Pegatron in 2012. Then Pegatron decided to push ASRock to all market segments, even in higher end where it now competes with ASUS.

Technically they are 2 completely different companies, with completely different RMA centers etc.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2014
  10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Nice explanation - thanks indeed!

Tags: Add Tags