1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design Define R5 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 24 Nov 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Anyone else reminded of "won't get fooled again" by The Who?

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss"

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Looks like a very decent case, even if it's only an incremental step forward from the R4. I'll be sticking with my R3 for now though, but if I were in the market for a new quiet full ATX case (and didn't already have the R3) then this would be top of my list.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't think the case market is stagnant at all.

We have Enthoo and NZXT (H440) bringing out some really interesting new cases. The ITX case market is interesting too, with what Parvum are doing, and then Silverstone with the RV01 and then there’s Corsairs 250D.

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

You mean Phanteks Parge.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Top mounted ports, fail.

Just as 'life always finds a way' so does dust and dirt into top mounted ports.

7. Benihana

Benihana What's a Dremel?

Just got the R4 a month ago, was a tiny bit enraged when I saw this, but looks like all the changes are so minor that I haven't missed much. Might have made it easier to get a H110 in the front or top, but other than that it looks very familiar which is no bad thing.

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I mean it's not exciting in any way shape or form, but it does do a lot of stuff, just like the R4 did at the time I guess.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Better a big black box (or a small black box in the case of ITX) than yet another case encrusted in day-glo plastic bling.

10. megamale

megamale Minimodder

I have the R4 for my spare X58 system and I am really impressed by the build quality. I would move my main system there if it wasn't for the lack of support for 360 rads. This case seems to be pretty spot on, especially if it is the same size.

Still, will stick to my Enthoo monster for now, but avidly looking for the smallest possible ATX case that can house 360+240 rads.

11. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

Still have the R2, couple of extra fans and love that it has E-Sata too. Also love that it's not bright green with flashing lights, I can put anything I like inside without the Mrs getting suspicious....

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

As said before - incremental fixes. It is better than R4, R3, R2; but makes no sense for owner of older cases to upgrade. But for a new buyers, it is certainly worth to wait for it - again a bit more space behind the mobo, better fan mounting system (especially for radiators), door can be switched around, bottom fan filter removable towards front. All small fixes, which make a good product better.

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Review is of case as manufactured, not of case as we would like it to be manufactured...

14. stan

stan What's a Dremel?

they changed the fans in the R5 to make them quieter.

Tags: Add Tags