1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 28-way switches?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Headspark, 12 Mar 2008.

1. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Hello all,

I was wondering if you could help me find a switch that has 2 positions at least and can switch 28 connections with one movement.. it can be a relay (12v preferably) anyone know what these switches are called?

I want to wire up a switch to swap EPROM (a chip) with a Modified one, without taking it out.

Cheers!

Andy

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I've no idea but its probably worth pm'ing a mod and have them move it to electronics so the leccy types over there will see this thread

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You could buy wafer switches and make up as many ways as you need, but the cost is going to be OTT. And I'm not sure 28 wafers would go on the standard shafts. 14 DPDT change-over relays controlled by a single power toggle would be cheaper.

4. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

What about a load of reed switches next to each other [maybe in a circle] and a couple of magnets:D

5. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

a 28pdt switch? That's what it would be called if it exists. Unfortunately, google is having trouble with that as PDT can also stand for pacific daylight time and it appears in timestamps :( You may be able to build something by using one power source to control multiple relays.

With the need for 28 connections, would this be for a power supply switch system? Could you cut down on the number of poles needed if you ganged some of the common rails together? The reason for the redundancy is the gauge of the wire and the pins typically are not rated to handle the possible currents. If you know what you need to handle, you may be able to connect them together through the switch, then fan them back out to the connector.

6. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Look around for a parallel printer switch box, as those usually contain a pretty sizable switch. Something like this, though I'm not sure how easy it'll be to find one at a reputable seller. The most common variety of these will only get you 25 switched conductors, but if you can't combine any you still might be able to find an unusual, larger switch box.

7. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

cpemma what does OTT stand for?

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Over The Top

9. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

sweet
    thanks cup :)

10. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

If this is just for development and you don't need to switch too frequently/quickly you could make a heath-robinson switch yourself, perhaps? PCB with two sets of 28 "in" tracks and a set of 28 "outs" connected to 2-row headers, and use a ribbon cable to toggle between them - an old IDE cable or something.

11. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Not sure how I missed the app you mentioned in the title.

Does the eeprom have a chip select line? You should be able to use that and use something more 'normal'.