1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News China hit by Outlook, Hotmail MITM attacks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Chinese authorities have been accused of conducting a man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack against Google's Outlook mail service...

Google's?!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bah - I was keeping Google in my head to make sure I remembered to mention the Gmail block, then fired the memory off too early! I'll go fix, ta.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

One problem with this is that SSL certification warnings seem to fire constantly these days. And that's as bad as no security, because people get used to clicking through.

5. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Say thank you to the poodle exploit.

6. Joannammayhew

Joannammayhew What's a Dremel?

Until recently i was in Hong Kong for some time. I doubt very much if its only been 1 day that China have been the MITM as Google and Hotmail websites were very slow in responding and even slower after the protests kicked off there. It was difficult and slow to send emails so think they have been reading them for some time. This monitoring is not new and if Cameron's proposals go through none us will have any privacy, if indeed we have any now at all. Your internet browsing is tracked by providers, and employers have been reading emails of employees since I can remember. I used to work for an organisation in 1999 where the CEO had the IT team trace and track any emails containing her name or part of her name. Even emails that are deleted can be recovered and I have seen it happen. All Governments can use their powers to obtain any information from your phone to your ipad or computer etc in the name of National Security. I don't want anyone to be paranoid but if you use the internet or emails or phones then just remember someone is monitoring you. The old Will Smith/Gene Hackman film Enemy of the State comes to mind people!!!!!!!!

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

If the back door to chat programs happened it would be at the server end they would Not do a MITM attack (related to Cameron's proposal) as that would brake Internet security

its like what they do with Skype once Microsoft bought Skype out they moved all the super nodes into Microsofts network so they could monitor all chats and stream them to the US/UK/India/* governments and intercept live voice calls on Skype if they are a person of interest

@somidiot
    Correct the time on your computer or could be that your been monitored by the government (getting your usernames and passwords) i check what locations you have logged into just in case

8. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

Lol...that is all...