1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Elder Scrolls Online ditches subscriptions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. cps1974

cps1974 What's a Dremel?

yup, we all knew it was a matter of time - having tried the beta and read reviews for the retail I hope they drop the price of the core game if they wish to encourage new players into their game - the beta was as dull as ditchwater imo and despite the success of the title as per the story above I haven't heard a single person talk about it positively - maybe I'm missing something

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

and along with almost every MMO trying to launch itself over the last several years its gone "pay to win".

I prefer the subs option but the type of people that play MMO's these days have no patience, manners or wish to co-operate. Its all about MAX level as quickly as possible, kill all the noobs, insult everyone on the server and troll around the game

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

But it hasn't gone "pay to win". Nether did SW:TOR. Vanity items and xp boosts when leveling are just minor things. Items related to being powerful like raid/pvp equipment will still have to be gained the old fashioned "fair" way.

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Vanity items are ok but not at the expense of making all other equipment look generic.

XP boosts etc are indirectly pay to win. MMOs these days are all about how quick you can get to 50/75/100 whatever and farm the best equipment for e-peen or PvP.

your avg Joe who just wants to play the play is left behind or when the game is more mature the elite hardcore at the top prevent/disrupt/discourage farming of the best items because you arent wearing the right gear etc etc which is part of group play.

To stop putting people off this many MMOs now don't even require group play until the very very end of the game that has normally already been ring fenced by the hardcore.

While im not saying this is the whole case for every MMO and every person that plays it is certainly very common and leaves the good honest players in niches.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2015
  6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

This news will certainly encourage me to go back in, as and when I can find the time!

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Here's hoping the new DLC crap isn't too expensive or restrictive to non-sub players...