1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dying Light Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 2 Feb 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

Definitely on my wishlist in Steam to pickup on sale hopefully!

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

It's awesome. Especially in co-op. It's what Dead Island should've been in the first place!

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking of getting this too....

Quick question on a side note, is it still worth picking up L4D 1 or 2?

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I want this game.

Anyone got it yet? 30 quid on cdkeys

6. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

Nice review, gonna put this on my wishlist, last time I had fun in zombie game was in Turtle Rock's L4D.
    Dead Island was open world boredom even in co-op.

And for L4D1 or L4D2?
    I suggest its better get L4D2 since it has all the content from L4D1 already in(maps, characters, all)
    Peeeelz here...

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've been eyeing up Dying Light for a little while now and am somewhat tempted to give it a whirl, though at the same time I'd like to wait for the price tag to drop a bit as zombie games tend to only hold my attention for 3-4 weeks before I move onto the next game.

I quite like the look of the free-running aspect and agree it is something that is well suited for a zombie apocalypse game as you'd be trying to go anywhere to avoid being eaten.

SchizoFrog;
    L4D 2 is definitely a fun game if you have a group of friends to play with, it's also a game that appears on sale quite often so you can usually find it dirt cheap.

8. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

L4D 2...another one for me to look out for ;)

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Yes, I bought it from cdkeys.com for £27 on release.

It's excellent. Not without it's flaws, mind, but much better than DI 1 and DI 2.

My biggest gripe is still to do with the crafting/buying/selling of materials in the game. For example...at the start of the game, a baseball bat that does, say, 20 damage, might cost around $300. This is already ridiculous, for a piece of wood, but hey..maybe it's signed by a pro player lol. Then, you level up some, want a better weapon - you find a plank of wood with a nail in, in a bin. This will do for a while, you think, and you use it until it breaks. You go back to a vendor, having looted a bunch of corpses and stolen materials from a load of apartments, and cash-in-pocket look for a better weapon. Look, he's got a baseball bat - this one does 40 damage! Oh, look, it's $3000. I don't have that much. No matter, I'll go nick some other stuff. But...you level up by doing so..you go back again, the bat in the store has levelled with you, now it's worth $5000 and does 60 damage.

Why does a piece of wood or metal do more damage and cost many, many times more, simply because I've got better at stomping on zombie heads? It's a flawed mechanic. Once you look past it, you simply focus on the stats, which is fine - but I do think they could have come up with something better than simply paying more and more for weapons. Right now, in my game, there's a small fishing knife for sale for $12,000 and guy just paid me $1000 to go and find his glasses and a book in his apartment.

</rant>

It's a great game though, as I said. Particularly when playing in co-op with friends. Just a shame about the in-game economy.

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Are the weapons craftable or are they only available to buy?

11. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

You can't "craft" weapons from scratch. Only upgrade them with fire/electricity damage etc. But you don't have to buy them either, you can find them around the city by searching containers or taking them from enemies.

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Base weapons can be found or bought.

You can add extra modifiers to them by finding blueprints (think "enchantments" in Dragon Age), and you can add mods to them by adding certain things into "sockets" (think Titan Quest/Torchlight).

It's a bit odd, because planks of wood and baseball bats don't have sockets, but hey ho.

As per my previous comments - the game is a great free-runner, jumper, zombie-basher and sneaky-shooter..but the "crafting" is balls. Still worth the money, though (£27, mind, not £40).

13. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

Got the game, great load of fun.

Very graphics intensive, playing on a 295X2 at 3440x1440 and its borderline unplayable. Had to turn some of the settings down!

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

1080p max settings with view distance 50% plays nice on 4gb gtx 770, fun game, love the free running whack a zombie dash. :D

Night time gets fierce.

15. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I like this game. Which is saying a lot because I generally dislike most zombie games. However I have one major issue. Motion sickness. This is the only game I have played that causes it and it is very intense. I've tried turning up the FOV but I can only play 30 mins at a time.

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I bit the bullet and bought it yesterday and immediately regretted it when I got severe motion sickness; the only other game that had the same effect on me was the original Borderlands.

Anyway to cut a long story short I downloaded this mod (@SinxarKnights this may help):

http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/18/?

and disabled film grain, motion blur and chromatic aberration and et voila I felt fine.

I had the day off so I got stuck in and I have to says it's good; so much better than the Dead Island games; the parkour is not up to Mirrors Edge but it's fun nonetheless oh and night-time is terrifying!

17. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

The Linux version of the game has poor performance right now and it doesn't have the NVIDIA gameworks features like HBAO+ and Depth of field. It also suffers some graphical glitches where objects in the background are blurred way too much.
    I think they should have just dropped Linux version for now and maybe released it at a later time when they got it right. This doesn't leave a good impression and Linux users don't want broken games. We will manage in the meantime.

I dual-boot my machine and tested using same hardware, just Windows vs Linux.
    Hardware: Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 980.

When it comes to the gameplay itself I think it is fine. I also suffered some motion sickness but I think that was more to do with the fact that I was really tired that day and should have spent some hours in the bed sleeping instead. I had just come home from work and a friend called on Skype and wanted to play the game so I just jumped in. When I'm all fit I rarley get sickness from videogames but I know certain settings and games are worse than others when it comes to this. Just make sure to be well rested before planning to play any game for an hour or more.

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I also had motion sickness at first - as well as some frame rate issues and generally poor performance, despite having a well specced machine (as we all do here).

In the graphics settings I selected the "Performance" preset and did an A-B against the highest quality setting (which I had been using since the start), and the difference in graphics quality was negligible and the motion sickness went away and the game played absolutely perfectly - so I've left it at that and all is well.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

It doesnt like AMD cards thats for sure the list of issues is still pretty large. Which is strange considering the game works flawlessly on a ps4 or xbox one. Played this at a friends and would not say I was overly impressed by it.

The missions that force you to do them in the night feel just like that forced. You also rarely feel like it actually adds to the actual mission just increases the difficulty ten fold which migh of been the point. Theres surely other ways to increase the difficulty.

The free running is great and has been well designed wether it makes up for the issues is another matter. Lack of cash ( by design ) The crafting system is just plane bad.

Its not worth the current pc asking price of £40 and the fact amazon is going to sell the full game and the season pass for the £15 below the ps4s orginal asking price ( for just the game)(Its £55+ 25 for season pass on ps4 for Digital download) does kinda prove that point.

Be basically a £40 discount on a unlaunched game.

20. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Judging by the state of Dead Island on linux. I thought it would be more of the same, reckon ill wait a bit and hope they improve it. But Dead Island left a sour taste in my mouth for "support"

Tags: Add Tags