1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrs77, 11 Feb 2015.

1. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Happy to hear it's working as hoped.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Very nice. I'm really considering selling my motherboard + cpu + gpu to go ITX + broadwell C. How much could I get from an i5-4570 + Asus Z87 Gryphon (with thermal armor) + EVGA GTX770 (with the 5 years warranty extension) ?

I bought a 25" 1440p monitor and I'd like to shrink my rig since, as I feared, I'm not into gaming anymore. I would only do digital painting, electronic simulation and some light CAD work.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Interesting video. Seems like this or the next gen, might finally be a worthwhile upgrade from SB.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I was watching that last night, it's a shame they didn't throw in the 5820k on the stock and OC'd runs. While I know mobos for X99 are more expensive, the CPU is about the same price as the 6700k and would be interesting for anyone considering an upgrade.

5. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Very interesting vid, Parge. Lots of improvement in the min FPS figures...

My i5 has arrived, now awaiting the board :0

6. rollo

rollo Modder

The i7 5775c seems to be offering better frame rates for games. ( than any other Intel chip) In the tests that I've seen done higher minimums. Resulting in better averages. Shows itself in witcher 3 and gta5 a lot. On a nvidia 980 gpu those tests where done.

X99 ignoring CPU will cost you about £200 extra to setup compared to either skylake or broadwell / haswell. Some of it is motherboard costs but a lot of it is the memory costs. At least if you go quad channel. Quad channel ram is just plain expensive. Not sure why you would not go quad channel either in truth.

I'd still say x99 is best off outside of gaming builds. Builds that benefit from the memory and CPU performance it offers. There's better ways to spend the cash if gaming is the priority in a build. As the extra you spend would be better on a more powerful gpu.

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

X99
    CPU £294
    MB £170
    RAM (16GB 4x4) £140
    =£604

X107
    CPU £319
    MB £83
    RAM (16GB 2x8) £130
    = £533
    Edit : Using a 3GHz kit in both so saving could possibly be found there.
    Not that much difference

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You also used a cheap as **** motherboard for Skylake. I wouldn't spend that little on a board.

All in all, they're about the same price if you got yourself a half decent board. If you need more cores, then X99 is the way to go, and if you want more IPC with higher clock speeds added on, then Z170 is the way to go.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I did, on purpose to make the gap as wide as possible. I went to OCUK and picked the cheapest non special offer price boards which happened to be an Asus for Z107, which as it happens also is DDR3, whoops! Add £7 to get the DDR4 one. I didn't bother doing that for the ram because I didn't expect there to be that big a difference and there isn't.

10. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Really? I wouldn't say it was THAT cheap a board, sure it's the cheapest now but there will be sub-£60 boards in a few weeks/months. I've often used basic ASUS boards for builds and not had any problems... z170 chipset, decent if not the best overclocking but that's to be expected? Sure you can spend more if you need the features but I bet the Z170-P is a decent board... Maybe I'm just stingy!

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No not at all. You can get a very decent board for £83 nowadays. I just think MDD is used to the creme de la creme.

The most expensive motherboard I ever bought was this one (see sig) which was £110 - and I thought that was pretty pricey.

12. TheMadDutchDude

I usually try to match parts as best as I can. I wouldn't for example buy a 5960X and drop it into the cheapest board I could find as I can't afford better for it. Likewise with a 6700K, I would prefer to spend a little more, but that's just me I suppose. :D

I guess I am used to the higher end of products, you're quite right. I crave the best performance for benchmarks and that's usually the only way to get the performance. Computers are a terribly expensive hobby, especially when you pop a part here or there when pushing them too hard. :D

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

heres a thought - we are seeing benchmarks of skylake in DDR4 platforms - , anything of what its like in DDR3?

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The board Loftie chose is the first Skylake mobo I've heard to have DDR3 instead of 4!

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

16. TheMadDutchDude

The difference is pretty much within a margin of error. If you're getting a new board and CPU, you may as well go full hog and get some DDR4 to go with it. It's almost as cheap as DDR3 now anyway, so there's little reason not to in my mind. :)

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Remember Skylake supports DDR3L, not regular 1.5v DDR3. You're probably going to have to purchase new RAM in either case, so you may as well go for DDR4 to start with.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, that's a very good point.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

anandtech used regular DDR3 just undervolted it

20. rollo

rollo Modder

They did that to show that in none memory intensive applications there's little to no benefit from the move from ddr3 to ddr4 as most of us expected.