1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel NUC Kit NUC5i3RYK (Core i3-5010U) Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 11 Feb 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Conclusion:
    ''We've already heard rumours that a Core i7 version is likely to appear at some point but even this Core i7 model offers enough grunt for most tasks''

Repeat of i7 I believe.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nice little bit of kit, but I'd like to see an i5 version tested.

Oh, and the last paragraph:
    Presumably that second "i7" should be "i3" :)

4. Combatus

Sorted, thanks!

5. Combatus

I was surprised it didn't have one too tbh - it is a pre-production sample and only one model so maybe there will be SKUs that include one.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This is roughly as quick as a Sandy Bridge Pentium rig, with much quicker graphics. Plus it uses a fraction of the power. I like progress :)

Looking forward to seeing the i7 version, might need to put a PO in to replace my Wolfdale-based work rig...

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Rumours? If you did some homework, and looked on Intel, you'll see the i7 version listed as "NUC5i7RYH" with the note: "The first ever Intel NUC with Intel® Core™ i7 processor is coming in Q2’15! Product details coming soon."

Sam

8. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Read and read ?

9. Yukionno

Yukionno What's a Dremel?

Page 2, 5th image, the one on left above the Bios screen grab.
    It shows header with 5 pins above the front panel connector which has the text label "SATA PWR" under it...
    I'm assuming it would be a custom cable not supplied with that model/kit type as there's no space in the case to put a sata drive.

Bungletron likes this.
  10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have to say that I really love the form factor of these NUCs. I have serious hankerings for one to live behind my telly in the living room, but to be honest I can't help fell that they are a little on the expensive side.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not enough connectivity for a HTPC though... nowhere to put a dual tuner (the mini PCI-E dual tuner Avermedia A373 is rarer than hens' teeth) and only one SATA, so you can't add Blu-Ray DVD alongside your harddisk. Seriously, nobody seems to make HTPC friendly hardware when it's such an obvious market.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

But didn't you get the memo... netflix [etc.] is the future...

EDIT: FWIW I agree with you, but i can't see them changing their minds...

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Good grief you've got good eyesight!

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Would be cool. Bet it will only be a single tuner though, thus rendering it useless.

I mean, I've got a Sony Brava, right? It has everything: HD DVB tuner, on-screen TV guide, internet browser and video streaming software, the ability to timer-record and pause live TV simply by plugging in a USB harddisk. Basically it is a media centre. Except that it only has one tuner, so you cannot record one thing while watching something else. For the want of £20,-- worth of electronics a £1200,-- top-end TV is reduced to just being a monitor for a whole separate media centre of an additional several hundreds of pounds. :rolleyes:

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Why include £20 worth of widget in the TV when they can sell you that very same widget [bundled with a load of crap you don't need/want] a substantial mark-up separately...

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I use triple tuners all the time. Everything I ever want to watch is always on at the same time.

17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Typo spotted

18. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

all i want is something like this with a mGPU in it. Is that to much to ask?

19. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

He's got a point, just behind the blue external usb ports.

A recent upgrade I did made all minuscule vesa bracket type pcs suddenly look very attractive to me as tv tuner equipped HTPCs, that is their use in conjunction with DVBLink running on a server or NAS. By installing all your tuners in a server then the DVBLink server software will be able to share them as a single multituner device to all with any computer on the network by installing a small piece of client software. My Netgear ReadyNAS now has three tuners installed and shared so I could probably migrate my HTPC to miniscule and get rid of the dedicated quad tuner there.

20. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Might have to get me one of these, but as a number of people will be looking at this version for a HTPC some benchmarks of media playback in things like Plex, XBMC would be welcomed

Tags: Add Tags