1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NSA, GCHQ fingered in SIM card key heist

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Government sanctioned criminals, but don't worry their doing it for your own good.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

It just keeps getting worse.
    Stuff like this sometimes makes me think that the tin foil hat brigade might actually have something

4. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

So, instead of them having to fight through those pesky laws just break someone else's so you don't have to be inconvenienced by those laws that are in place to stop you doing whatever you like.

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I literally consider all my digital actions as in public.
    I really don't think there is a such a thing as digital privacy.

Unless i were to invest in my own 'off the grid' network blah blah......

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So basically you're saying that nothing you do is private ?Seeing as how modern day life is almost entirely digital.

Just because it's digital that doesn't suddenly mean we should throw privacy out the window.
    There's good reasons why certain amounts of privacy is a vital part of any community, our forefathers seemed to know this, it's just a shame we've forgotten those reasons in the name of fighting a war on terror.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I don't think greigaitken is saying that this is how it should be, just that he acknowledges that this is how things are. I certainly am careful about what I do in the digital domain, including my mobile phone.

Basically every government's default position is: if they can do it, they will. Our phones are tapped, our mobiles and internet definitely are, and our cars are tracked via number plate recognition, as are all our financial transactions that do not involve the hand-to-hand exchange of cash. But, you know, it's all so we can live in a free world. :p

Last edited: 21 Feb 2015
  8. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

We aren't fighting a war on terror ... thats just a common cause to deflect attention where necessary. Keep us in the loop, it is just a dis-information ruse.

We are trying and all failing, to fight a war against the corporate militia. This is far mightier than Islamic State, than Putin, and than Nato.

The banks and the financiers run the whole show...The Government, Media and Telecommunications, GCHQ ( who i am confident, actively monitor this site and others like it).

It is very likely that the capitalist banking mafia of the USA and UK, under whose regime WE ALL LIVE, will probably lead NATO into war with Putin, purely on the grounds of monetary gain. The loss of life is irrelevant to these people, i hope people are gradually learning this.

Ask yourselves this question:

Who is the most powerful person in the world?
    Most would probably have answered The President of the United States of America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTcL6Xc_eMM
    Look at this clip and then remember that this was more than 3 decades ago, can you imagine what hold these people have now on all our lives after 3 decades making choices solely for monetary gain, solely to rip us off and make them richer?
    The One percent are the problem, the One percent will always be the fundamental issue, until poorer people have greater representation, there will never be any change, and the probability is you will die trying to implement that change.

When all else fails..... WAR ALWAYS MAKE MONEY!
    To the victor, the spoils!

Last edited: 21 Feb 2015
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Perhaps what i said came across wrong, what i was trying to say is that we shouldn't be so acceptant that just because it's the digital world and just because ne'er do wells are using it to supposedly hatch dastardly plans against us that we should sacrifice our privacy for security.

We shouldn't be more acceptant about the invasion of privacy than in any other parts of our lives, if what was reported in the article happened with land lines or snail mail people would understandably be incensed that the SS can eavesdrop on their conversations and read their letters without having to bother with court orders.

10. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I was indeed saying 'This is how it is', not 'It's ok this way'
    like everyone on here, we hold so little power such that you'd have to give up so much to attempt to change anything.
    So given 'This is how it is' - I'll do my private bidding non digitally.
    P.S. nobody cares if I order a butt plug online, But they do care about how I paid for it.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Not only is what almost everybody does online, or says on their mobile, of no interest, whatsoever, to the security services, they have nowhere near sufficient, equipment or manpower, to actively monitor everything we all say and do. To believe otherwise is ridiculous.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

They haven't even got the resources to monitor those that they should. But that's not the point. The point is that the illegal access is there, so the potential for abuse exists. And it happens. Google for "Loveint".

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's true, but then again the SS may not be the only people actively monitoring everything we all say and do. I mean it's not like there very good at preventing data breaches, and it's not like there the only ones with access to this data.

If governments could give a 99% guarantee that all this private data there gathering remained private until a court ruled otherwise then i wouldn't have a beef with it, unfortunately that's not realistic as when you store information there's potential for others to get their hands on it, no matter how secure you believe it to be.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2015
  15. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

You can be jailed in this country for perverting the course of justice.

The mass data collection is circumventing this ruling by allowing the "privileged" parties to see all sides of prosecution and defence arguments and tailor the appropriate response, thereby exposing plaintiffs, whistleblowers and previously protected media sources to be revealed and counter surveillance to be implemented to garner the most favourable outcome to the privileged few.

This is so wrong on many, many levels.