1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony launches high-price micro-SD 'for Premium Sound'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hateful. But it always makes me chuckle that they all do this and usually get away with it too.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

There's always some idiots who'll flatly ignore to listen to you and buy it and insist it's great. :D

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

I reserve the right to call anyone who buys one of these a ****head.

5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Source

This might not be a consumer product, even though there will be plenty who will order one.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I call horse-hockey on that guy's claims. First, I can't think of a single studio-grade piece of equipment which uses micro-SD¹. Second, a micro-SD is so low-current that it couldn't make a magnetic field strong enough to affect the recording of any nearby analogue equipment. Finally, have you seen a micro-SD card slot? They're a metal cage which surrounds the card.

¹ Okay, there's portable devices like the Tascam DR05 - but if we were looking for sources of electromagnetic noise, I'd be more concerned about that massive backlit LCD located right below the microphones than its micro-SD card.

EDIT: Someone in that Reddit thread has found the product page on Sony Japan. Running it through Google Translate offers the following insights:

"Ideal for high-resolution corresponding Walkman (R)."
    In other words, it's being targeted at consumers: studios don't use Walkmans. Walkmen? Walkman devices.

"High quality design and reduce electrical noise generated when the file is read from the microSD memory card. It is possible to suppress the adverse effect on the audio playback equipment components and circuit, the sound source is connection of smooth sound with the original, the spread of clear sound field, the goodness of Tsubudachi, to reproduce the freshness, we achieve high sound quality."
    Struggling with the translation here, but that does seem to suggest they're claiming that the micro-SD will protect other components from EMF noise during file-read operations - but, as previously mentioned, I'm calling horse-hockey on that. It's utter audiophool nonsense to suggest that the teeny-tiny current involved in a micro-SD located within a metal shield could have an effect on nearby audio components noticeable by the human ear.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2015
  7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

In this case I say fair play to Sony for saying right from the start that they don't necessarily see the point, but if people want it they can buy it!

As for the tangible benefit of this card over others, aren't they saying more that the reduced EMI noise from the card would interfere less with the amplifier and audio output rather than noise on the digital data output from the card?

(Edit: beaten to it by Alterius)

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Even when they're in the bargain bins for £20?

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Fair enough. I just wanted to offer a different opinion. Myself I'd only buy them if they are on sale as my phone sounds awful either way.

10. chrismarkham1982

If a 64Gb card goes the bargain bin at £20 then no, that's besides the point though, there are some people out there that are stupid enough to believe the crap and buy one at full price.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I reserve the right to agree with you.

12. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

13. chrismarkham1982

Thing is, while there are people with 'all the gear and no idea' who refuse to be educated and believe everything what hifi and the like tells them, there will always be a market for over priced crap.

14. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, but its really good. I'm getting two for my joystick and gamepad. Will make me a 1337 gamer.

16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Audiophiles, the weight weenies of the tech world.

17. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

18. chrismarkham1982

Yeah I could get my self a nice second hand HiFi, a pair of very good home headphones and a set of very good portable headphones (my Lumia 1020's audio is pretty decent) and probably have enough change to get my self a big daddy box meal.............

Edit: And a few beers as-well.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2015
  19. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

I wonder when exactly, does 'false advertising' kick in with these things. mmmm??

20. chrismarkham1982

These kind of things are subjective to the user though, x amount of people could say it does nothing but then x amount of people could say it does, makes the 'false advertising' argument difficult unfortunately.