1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft clarifies Spartan, IE browser engines

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Mar 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I wonder how long the IE code (MSHTML engine) is going to hang around? 5,10, 20 years.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

I wonder when Firefox is finally going to manage to make a tablet version... using IE on the 8.1 tablet is...not so nice

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I agree, Xir - Firefox on my 8.1 tablet is horrendous. But that's ok, because IE11 is actually really quite good.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Anything Flash based through FF is awful, things glitch freeze or the plug-in just crashes while with Chrome it is smooth and solid, although I have other reasons for not liking Chrome. I'd go back and give IE a go as I hear good things about it but as I am on 7, the latest IE just isn't an option. Roll on Windows 10.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I find FF generally to be a bit of a mess these days as it appears to be increasingly unstable. Unfortunately I just can't get along with Chrome at all (think I'm just too used to other browsers to and like SchizoFrog run Windows 7 on my main PC so IE11 isn't an option. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to use IE11 on a desktop anyway - it's great on a touchscreen but is very much optimised for that usage.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IE 11 is available for Windows 7, the only thing that annoys me is the lack of a reliable ad blocker, and the inability to sync favourites and whatnot with anything other than windows phone

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Not if you don't install SP1.