1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces Halo 5 launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Mar 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Aah but you omitted the most interesting bit Gareth, there are actually two trailers:

This one is very much similar but with the roles completely reversed. The artists have also changed things around, damage where some wasn't, hue changes etc.

I like this approach really. It's exciting and different, not just a mash of explosions and bamf action. Personally I'm a fan of the direction 343i are taking the franchise. I've grown out of the multiplayer, so they can do what they want there, but the campaign will always bring me back. There aren't that many sci-fi FPS games out there that actually bother to have a proper plot, lore and general universe, Halo is fairly unique in that aspect.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Coo. I didn't know there were two trailers - I'd only seen the one!

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I agree here and enjoyed Halo way back when and it irks me so that MS ignores the PC market so much with this type of title.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I think it's because they know Halo is a system seller. I mean I bought an xbone just to play it, there must be a fair number of others in that same situation. And don't forget, once you have an xbox in the house, you might use it for other services/games too, which they'll profit from. I mean that's not necessarily the case, mine is just sitting collecting dust underneath my PC monitor, but I'd reckon a decent numer of people might want to try and extract some more use form the system if they own one.

Saying that though, there is now Halo online headed to Russia. That's the first dedicated Halo FPS title to hit the PC (the others either being ports or multiplat releases). Still, even if Halo 5 did come to PC, I wouldn't play it online. I haven't sunk nearly 15 years and thousands of hours into the series only to become a crap rookie again because I suck at PC FPS rofl :p I think I would die inside knowing I'm the equivalent of a silver CSGO player in a Halo game now. Plus I can imagine cheating would be rife as it always seems to be with PC FPS. The number of cheaters I come across in CSGO is atrocious, probably about 30% of my ranked games have had them. It's very offputting having to specifically play on specifically authenticated servers with more advanced cheat detection systems and rigorous control methods in order to enjoy the game.

6. SchizoFrog

That's exactly it... I don't like playing online. Of course I am rubbish at playing games online but that isn't why I don't like them, I am rubbish because I don't like them. There are several reason why I don't like online games, the game dynamics are different from campaigns, I hate with a vengeance that so many games are played by those who want to rush in and don't care about dying as long as they get that kill. I like being stealthy and strategic, to think that if I have died it is because someone else was stealthy and strategic and got the better of me... and wasn't just some fool running around throwing grenades EVERYWHERE only to die and almost instantly respawn. Cheating is another aspect that ruins it, as is in game payments.
    I much prefer campaigns in games, 'Medal Of Honour - Allied Assault' (Yes, even that F**KING beach), F.E.A.R., Call Of Duty 1 + 2, Halo (which I did play on PC)... It seems that now the online aspect dominates everything and so even when a game is released with a campaign, it is far too short, for too simple and ultimately far too easy as most of the development resources are dedicated to the online aspect. I personally made a big mistake buying Sins Of A Solar Empire as I didn't realise until after that there was no 'campaign' as such and the real point of the game is to build up and go online... I haven't touched it since that realisation.

The only online games I have ever really enjoyed were 'Battlefield 2142' adn 'Chu Chu Rocket'. If I was to play an online FPS I'd like to play something like COD with an insanely large map, 32 players (16+16 - 4 x 4 man squads) and when you die... You are out and can only watch in a ghost like fashion. I know that this won't happen as it is far too limited for the developers to actually make the masses of money that they require... Maybe an Indie game may come along but until then online just isn't for me and there is a massive deficit of quality FPS where the focus is on good campaigns rather than the online element.

I also believe that there are many other gamers out there just like me that can't afford even if they could justify, buying a console just for a few specific games with no intent on joining or using the 'other services' provided.

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

WHERE MY HL3?!

*ahem* Sorry about that, don't know what came over me...

8. SchizoFrog

You might be interested in this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/make-half-life-2-shine-again-with-the-update-mod/

I am thinking of giving it a run through as I have also just re-installed F.E.A.R. (although that was actually before this article and just a coincidence but is evidence of previous complaints).