1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ten Years On: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 10 Apr 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Im a massive fan of the first 3 Splinter Cells, fantastic games and way ahead of there time tec wise.
    Fully dynamic physic fabrics that would wave realistically when you pushed thought them, As mentioned impressive AI, by far the best of its time and still better than some games coming out now!
    Very well thought out missions and level disgine as said in the re review.

Real shame the series went to sh!t after Chaos Theory.

3. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

The first Splinter Cell games are in my top 20 of all time great games, hiding dead guards head down in a toilet was fun and the "Optic cable under door voyeur cam" was unique!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2015
  4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

TBH Stealth games...they bore the tits off me.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

That is basically how I felt about SC... I didn't feel that it was a 'stealth' game as such as it was 'systematic' game. As in, you weren't free to do things as you decided you wanted to, you had to do them when the game wanted you to. If you played along everything was fine and pretty simple, as soon as you didn't understand the 'path' and deviated to do things your own way, you were instantly heard, seen or some other form that triggered the alarms and led ultimately to your failure. Maybe that was ultimately a fault of the then current AI but whatever the reason I was left rather bored and found something else to play.

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I remember the first time I played Splinter Cell, back in the day. I sneaked through the level, silently shooting every bad guy in the head and hiding the bodies along the way. No alarms, no trace of my being there (traces of SOMEONE being there, but not "me"), fulfilled the objective...and everyone nicely dead so they couldn't tell on me.

And the mission summary gave me 5% "success" and that put me off the SC franchise for quite a while.

That's why I feel like Blacklist went a bit further to accommodate different play styles. Which made me happy :)

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Probably because some mission orders required as few people, or in some cases, no people to be killed :D

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

You get better mission success when you are more like a shadow, completely unnoticed and no kills
    Killing people is the easy way to do the game.

9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Some of the comments here are clearly from people who should stick to COD.

10. SchizoFrog

Why? Because no one should criticise a game that someone else likes?

Personally I tried to play the game the way it wanted me to and found it felt more like a turn based game.
    (Player's turn) Move to specific spot (anywhere else and you get 'seen' even when the guard has their back to you) and wait.
    (Game's Turn) Guard moves forward, wait for predefined murmuring, mumbles or chit chat from guard before they move off.
    (Player's turn) Repeat above.

11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

There are multiple pathways that can be taken through each level, multiple play styles and gadgets that can be used to assist you on your way; guns and knives are unnecessary.
    Playing Splinter Cell and deliberately killing anyone completely defeats the object of the game. It should only be seen as a last resort.
    Turn based? Completely disagree with that for the reasons given in the first paragraph.
    I think people who don't 'get' stealth games simply lack patience at the slow pace that is required to get the best from the game. They then start blasting, wonder why they are then overwhelmed (Which is what would happen in real life) give up and go back to FPS.
    I love FPS myself but they are two separate challenges in my view.

12. SchizoFrog

Why is it that as soon as someone says that they don't like something and feel that things could have been different for the better, people like you say that we don't 'get' that type of game and that we should go play something else?
    Do you even read my comments properly? I said earlier that I try to play the game as it was intended and not by walking around and killing everyone, but the game was too systematic by giving the player plenty of 'safe' areas and obvious 'attack' points, I'll even quote from this article:

'The guards usually have small patrol vectors, meaning they only need to respond to a limited number of potential scenarios.'

Remember 'Thief'? Possibly once of the greatest 'stealth' games ever and did it play like SC? Um... No! Neither did the original 'Hitman'.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2015
  13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

People like you?
    Care to explain the reason for the personal attack?

14. SchizoFrog

'Some of the comments here are clearly from people who should stick to COD.'

Is that not a personal response (attack) to (a) previous comment/s?

'I think people who don't 'get' stealth games simply lack patience at the slow pace that is required to get the best from the game. They then start blasting, wonder why they are then overwhelmed (Which is what would happen in real life) give up and go back to FPS.'

As that comment was made quoting my own comment, I take it that you are linking my criticisms of SC to ALL stealth games and that I apparently I just don't 'get' that genre of game.

P.S. Just to clarify that no offence was intended, they were my reply opinions to the comment you had made. You made a comment referring to those that don't get stealth games and I replied asking why it is that if someone criticises, they are thought of as 'not getting it'?
    As is the want of forums though things can get personal without intent.

15. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I don't play CoD (not since MW1 anyway), but thanks for the advice -_-

As it happens, and this is just my opinion, I've always found it a bit odd to play games where you're armed to the teeth, peering round a corner holding a silenced pistol, looking at a guard...watching his pattern of movement...waiting for the perfect moment to strike...and then.....NOT striking, and skulking off into the shadows again. You're holding a pistol. You're clearly very well trained. I'm playing a game to have fun, and then I'm punished for doing the very obviously fun thing to do.

So, while you are correct that the original Splinter Cell wasn't for me (I said that in my own post), some of my favourite games, over the years, have been games which allow for stealth, and also afford you different lethal/non-lethal (depending on the game) paths like:

SWAT 4
    Rainbow 6
    Batman: Arkham <x>
    Dishonored
    Hitman <x>
    Thief <x>
    Deus Ex <1/2/HR>

Thank goodness I didn't just stick to COD eh? Or I'd have missed out on all those great games.

Tags: Add Tags