1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer launches BlackWidow Tournament Edition Chroma

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Apr 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Does anyone know if the keycaps are compatible with those intended for cherry switches?

EDIT: just checked the review of the full size chroma and they should be. Now i just have to decide if I want to splash that much cash when i can get a TKL keyboard and a set of caps for the same price :worried:

Last edited: 17 Apr 2015
  3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

People shouldn't buy this board on principle, aside from anything else. Cheap switches, same high price, Razer is just pocketing the money and hoping people don't realise they're buying a much cheaper product.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I don't agree. Look how much Coesair's RGB boards cost. You're paying more for the colours than you are anything else.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I think Yslen's point is why pay for a Razer board that doesn't have Cherry MX switches when for virtually the same money you can buy an RGB board that does have Cherry MX switches? I totally agree. All I've heard about the Razer switches is that they're inconsistent and don't have the longevity of genuine Cherry switches. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, RGB or not.

7. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

So you are against manufacturers offering competition to Cherry branded switches? Cherry switches have issues too. Dont forget that. Anything manufactured in mass quantities have a chance of not functioning as intended.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Razer has a long history and reputation of poor build quality right across their range of products. Until they produce products that fight against the current trend and improve their reputation, then I see it as foolish to buy in to them. By all means, by a competing product but don't buy an inferior one just because it is an alternative.

Corsair on the other hand, ultimately build quality will be down to them and not who makes the switch and... well... the worst that can be said about them over recent years is that they now have a crap new logo...

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Corsair hardware at some point in the future. Anyone want a range of Black and Ice White Motherboards and GPUs??? I know I do!!

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Not at all - if a better switch was introduced, I'm sure the keyboard enthusiast community would flock to it in a jiffy. And don't forget that there are other switches out there that people prefer - particularly ALPS and Topre. Now they may not be better than Cherry MX, but some people prefer them, which is why boards like the HHKB have been so succesful.

Far from offering competition to Cherry, Razer's switches are clones... they are basically Cherry switches made with virtually identical components but with some superficial differences, with inferior build quality. Customer testimony corroborates this, and that is specifically why I bought another Cherry MX board instead of getting a Razer. I came close!

And to expand on your last statement, indeed anything manufactured in high quantities has a chance of malfunctioning, which is why quality control exists. Cherry's quality control is extremely high, and that's why so many companies use their switches. By all means let other companies "compete" with Cherry's MX technology. Best of luck to them! :)