1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Dear publishers, please just let me buy your game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 May 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

The link to the article (including from the homepage) is broken...

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You're just doing it wrong.

:hehe:

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

+1

I keep seeing all these lovely new games coming out, and wanting to play them now, but then I see the season passes/DLC already listed for them, and I shrug and go back to my backlog of "complete" GOTY/Ultimate/Extreme/Mega/Uber edition games.

Why spend close to £100 on something that'll be in the Steam sale in a years time for £5?

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

+1

6. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

[​IMG]

Replace high end system with DLC and extra content

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Regretfully i agree with jrs77 and MadGinga. I say regretfully because i fear the games industry may view peoples disinterest in a similar fashion as voter apathy, that they won't entertain the idea of people not liking the way things are done and merely say people don't want to buy our game because of X or Y.

8. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

What I find even worse is how much this practice of selling parts of a game separately hurts the experience. When I finally got the DLCs for Skyrim I already had a character that was way overleveled for the content making the experience quite boring.

The DLCs of Skyrim are a prime example of why you should NOT get a game on release: For a long time Bethesda chose to sell the single DLCs for more than the GOTY which included all DLCs.

9. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

Lol, love xkcd.

My biggest frustration is companies releasing unfinished products and then not finishing them (Ubisoft i am looking at you). Silent Hunter 5 is an awesome game but only because it was picked up by modders who had to fix it. You should see all the effort the end gamer has to go through to make that game acceptable. such a shame.

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I have to disagree with this particular example. Although I haven't played Skyrim in a few months I was on to my 5th run through and this time, even though the DLC is installed I have avoided engaging with those story lines... as well as the main dragon quest (only fighting dragons when they attack me and avoiding their lairs) and my character is level 60 and already the enemies are easy.
    So my point is regardless of whether you install the DLC straight away or not, there is a large portion of the game that you will inevitably find easy due to your character level. The only difference is that you have more options on how you level up in the first place.

Also not true as there never was a GOTY version... just the 'Skyrim - Legendary Edition'. Sorry to be pedantic.

I can also see the point of them doing that. If they reduced the price of the DLCs then they never would have been able to sell the 'Legendary Edition' at all.

Last edited: 19 May 2015
  11. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

It's just the same is it not? A package of the base game and all expansions? So why would I have to buy the base game again when I already have spent 50€ on it on release day? But that was just the point: Bethesda wanted me to buy the game again. I chose not to and if I wouldn't have gotten the expansions as a birthday present I would not have played them till this day.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I started playing Quake 3 Arena (Quake Live) again, and even that has a subscription to access things like map votes - did I pay? No!

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Think season pass and early access both are bad for gaming in general.

I've made a few early access purchases and regret 2 of them divinity original sin despite how good it is now was awful for 1 year after the initial early access. And Elite: Dangerous another very unfinished game and missing the reason I brought it ( offline mode was for something to play on a laptop with no internet in a few hotels I stay in)

They have saw games like battlefield and COD demand huge sums of cash for the extra maps ( which would of been free before) and thought we can have some of that.

what it will do is increase piracy long term and people will pirate the dlc.

14. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

I have to agree with the people above.

You are so much better off waiting a year to play new releases. GPU drivers are stable and the games (for most of them) work.

The amount of time I usually spend looking into getting new games to run smoothly is usually longer than I end up playing them for.

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That describes me perfectly. I don't mind missing out on the initial hype and if a game's worth playing, it'll still be talked about long after the hype subsides.

16. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

As others have said the "trick" is to wait about a year. You can get a GOTY edition which has hopefully been patched to a working state, for around a tenner. That said huge chunks of DLC in a game from the start can be overload. The time I spent watching zillions of things unlock in Saints row 4 after particularly content gated story missions was quite frustrating.

I'm in 2 minds about the whole DLC thing. On the one hand you have the appalling examples like Mass Effect 3, hiding what I hear was a very important character (I never bought the DLC).
    Then on the other I remember devs always talking about things they had to cut as they didn't have time to finish what could have been great additions to the game.
    Destruction Derby 2 is a standout memory for me as an example of this. They wanted to include racing with caravans, but at the time weren't sure they could implement it in time. When the game was released without it I would have loved the option to have bought it later as DLC.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

If a game comes along I'm excited about I buy it if I can then just wait for season pass low price in a sale if it's worth getting or just not bother with the extra DLC.

I notice most games bundled with GPU's have season passes, crafty.

18. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Yeah, great, making us pay for a feature originally introduced as a third-party server mod for free. What a crock!

19. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I refuse to pay more than once for a game and I never buy anything on the release date, or even in the year of release!

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

^No games would get made if everyone did that. :D

Tags: Add Tags