1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve opens Steam Controller, Steam Link pre-orders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even with the 80 hours of wireless play I'm not sure I like the idea of having to replace batteries versus having an option to charge it with something like a USB cable.

Even with the £40 asking price I think I'm going to wait a month or two just to see how robust their construction is, but I'm defiantly going to get one unless people report they fall apart after vigorous play sessions.

3. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Although im interested in the idea of the steam machine, and would be pretty interested in picking one up instead of an xbox one/ps4, I think the main issue currently is the usual crap pricing conversions from the USA to the UK. For example the Alienware Alpha is $499 (pre tax) or £499, thats well over £100 even taking tax into account which is a ridiculous amount and considerably more than a console so id just go for a PS4/Xbox

andrew8200m likes this.
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

While a Steam Machine (PC) has a higher initial outlay I would say it's a better long-term investment, games are generally cheaper and you don't have to throwaway all your old games when you move to a newer system.

It's horse for courses, some people prefer the lower initial cost and (arguably) higher long-term costs involved with consoles, while some believe the higher initial cost of PC gaming is outweighed by the lower long-term costs.

(I'm going to retreat to my Anderson shelter now) :hehe:

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Same.

Currently already using a wireless xbox360 controller, so I'll wait a bit to hear all the reports. If mostly positive, the trusty 360 controller will be getting replaced. :D

£40 is about right for such a controller.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The XYAB button placement where a stick usually is looks awkward to use, prefer my keyboard/mouse/cup desk or 360 pad.

But if I hear it's actually very good I'd be keen to try.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

For me it is all about how this controller works with games outside of Steam. FIFA is not on Steam and games like that are a main reason I have a controller so it remains to be seen how EA incorporates the use of a Steam Controller.
    I am currently using an Xbox 360 wireless controller and it is showing it's age as the rubber is wearing out so I am due an upgrade. My problems is whether these things are going to be just as good for what I use them for regardless of what 'new' things they may offer.

8. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Bought my Link and Controller. £80 is an easy outlay to test Valves first hardware venture.

Read a lot about the Vive today and will defo be pre-ordering that as well.

9. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I ponied up for the (not so amazingly priced) bundle. P&P knocks the price to £94.78.

You forgot to mention steam sales for PC and 2nd hand games for console.

10. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I think Steam Sales and Humble Bundles (and GOG, for that matter) still beat consoles. For me, paying 12.99 for Civ V a while back and 9.99 for Ikaruga were practically outrageous. For the most part, $5 is about the most I'll pay for a game, let alone picking up 7-10 games in a HB for $10-15. I don't think the consoles can compete with that.

andrew8200m likes this.
  11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Oh I'm bang on with you there. I have about 170 Steam games, which being generous and putting £30 as a console game (got a discount, or waited for a price reduction) would equal £5,100. Needless to say I've spend nothing like that. I'd guess it must be about £1,000 tops but probably a lot less.

andrew8200m likes this.
  12. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

£500 would buy a half decent desktop PC with better specs than the Alienware Alpha. You'd be better, IMHO, buying a gaming laptop and a HDMI cable.

andrew8200m likes this.
  13. SchizoFrog

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That seem really expensive for what amounts to a wireless receiver, does the Steam controller come with a receiver or is that extra?

15. SchizoFrog

$24.99? I seem to remember the receiver for the Xbox 360 version being £19.99 so doesn't seem too far off the mark. Neither does $79.99 for a controller with the receiver considering that the going rate for a controller on Amazon is £35+ so I would expect to see the receiver for £20-£25 and the bundle for £60-£65... RRP prices of course.

16. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I got two XBOX 360 wireless controllers for Windows (with wireless receiver) for £22 and £25 (bought at seperate times). The Steam controller has the touch pads and two stage paddle which could be game changing, the XBONE controller is just a rehashed controller that doesn't really do anything different over the 360 version.

17. SchizoFrog

While I agree that the Xbox One controller is an update of the 360 controller, they can't be bought now so if that is the way you wish to go then that is what you have to get. You may have got them for that price but I doubt that was at launch...

As for the Steam controller changing things... why? I can't see many games being developed for use with a pad controller that won't be ported to consoles and so they won't program in features that can't be used by a standard pad.
    Personally I am interested in the Steam controller purely for it being a PC game pad, anything 'new' about it is only going to a gimic and vastly under supported. You show me a single game that you will play with the Steam controller that can't be played with a new XBox One controller...

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

A game doesn't need to support a game controller for the Steam controller to work with it, any keyboard or mouse input can be mapped to any surface or button on the controller.

I haven't had experience with using the SC myself so I'm only going on what I've read, but the SC seems more like a laptop keyboard in your hand, one of the laptop keyboards with a trackpad and small nipple joysticks.

19. SchizoFrog

So how could it be 'game changing' as you said earlier?

For games needing cursor control I would still only play using mouse and keyboard and for other games a standard game pad is all you need. Obviously it is down to the individual and a lot of people are going to buy in to the Steam controller, so far I just don't see the need, especially as it looks to cost about the same and yet be less versatile. We'll see.

20. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

The Steam controller MAY be a game changer, due to the dual track pads with haptic feedback as opposed to thumb sticks with rumble/vibration of the pad. Which may offer control approaching keyboard and mouse, in the form factor of a control pad.

You can pick up the wireless 360 pads from £22 or for £30 from the bigger retailers with the wireless receiver included. Microsoft have stated they will support the 360 until 2016, likely fasing it out over the year, so there will be no shortage of pads. What do the XBOne pads offer PC gamers that the 360 pads lack?