1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Batman: Arkham Knight Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 29 Jun 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I need to pay more attention, I had no idea the PC version had been farmed out to a 3rd party instead of being an in house Rocksteady developed PC game.

Hopefully by the time the inevitable GOTY edition appears, everything will be fixed, if so that's when I'll get it, as I have more than enough left still to play through for the rest of the year.

3. j4ck3l

j4ck3l What's a Dremel?

I forced myself to play it, simply because i pre-ordered the f%%king thing (never again, the last one was battlefield 4!).

So my main protagonist was the horrendous port, shame really, what does it really boil down to ? MONEY probably.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm going to wait until all the bugs are sorted out. In my opinion, the Arkham series gets better with each instalment and I don't want to play what is probably going to be an absolutely exceptional game while it's still marred by problems.

5. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

I was tempted by the incredibly cheap steam key on offer so went ahead and bought it. I upgraded graphics card to a GTX 970 (from 7950 but not just for this game!) and then started playing it - what an unholy mess it is!!!

Screen stuttering from the start making this just unplayable. Just try driving the batmobile with the screen stopping every other second... Looks like I'll have to park this one until it's sorted out.

In the meantime I'll go back to GTA V and enjoy the benefits of the new graphics card.

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

This is another sorry tale of a game that is a mess upon release for PC and the publishers still want us to pre-order games. How about the console versions, did they have any massive patches/bug fixes on their release date?

7. rollo

rollo Modder

3.5gb day 1 patch for both consoles game does run flawlessly though.

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

To be fair, the game runs without issue on my PC..the drivers AMD released for the game cleared up the graphics problems for me entirely. The patch released the day after launch by Rocksteady fixed a few minor niggles, and I'm now 20+ hours into the game without complaint.

This issue has been blown massively out of proportion.

9. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"there's little point... [to this review except for the fact we'd done it already] ...now the game has been pulled from shelves until further notice."

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Well they could review the console version instead which by all accounts is brilliant.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

It's the same game....

Not that long ago I was harangued for saying that graphics make the game on this forum. Now apparently they do, where I was lectured that they don't.

This game IS Arkham Knight on PS4, minus a few graphical effects. It works. It's the same game. To review one is to review them all.

12. j4ck3l

j4ck3l What's a Dremel?

And thats why it has been removed from steam ? Come on, "its fine for YOU" runs terrible for just about everyone else...You must be the special one, well done Neo.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I've clocked as much as 7.4GB of VRAM usage during play. I think that explains the poor performance. With requirements like that it's no wonder that people are experiencing slow downs. On cards with 4 to 6 GB of VRAM this game will hammer frame pacing as data is shifted in and out of memory.

It appears to be very memory leaky and is slow to recover memory. I imagine some of the memory contents is just sat there doing nothing waiting to be freed. I'm not sure how they are going to solve this without just throwing out the whole code base and starting again. But who knows we'll have to wait and see.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

It was terrible on day one - but with AMD's drivers, released overnight, and the day two patch, it performs exactly as you would want (minus a few graphical effects).

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Experience varies by what gpu your running it on and if your willing to disable nvidias gameworks stuff if you are it does run smoothly enough on very expensive PCs you need at least a 970 equivalent performance to get it close to smooth experience.

Gta5 looks better and requires similar hardware is one of the main reasons wb has took a lot of flak. Enough gta4 took plenty of flak on launch. And the previous batman game launched with similar issues that where fixed eventually.

Even then it will need to be reset every 2-3 hours to counter the memory bugs. It also runs significantly better on a SSD than it does on a mechanical hard drive.

Have now finished the game on PC and just have a few challengers and riddler stuff to sort out easily the best batman game. Just a pity it has issues for some PC users.

16. Cloudisfast

Cloudisfast What's a Dremel?

Just bought the GTX 980, kinda disappointed that I'm even getting the game for free..

I'm gonna think positively and assume that they're gonna fix this some time soon. I mean, they've just released a patch so here's to being hopeful.

17. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I haven't got the the game yet, and I guess I might pick it up much later in a Steam sale - by then it should be a happy experience.

Reading about the Batman issues reminds me of the Deus Ex launch. I bought that game at launch and it was another horrible stuttering experience. A lesson was learnt!

Tags: Add Tags