1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI R9 390X Gaming 8GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 9 Jul 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Dear me that power consumption is insane.

3. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

504 watts!!

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

This is exactly why AMD are going under.

So much talk and the end result is nothing but false pretences. Re-branded old tech that was even re-branded for the 290X in the first place.

Performance results aside, it is the misleading hype that has affected their reputation the most and many people just do not trust them any more to buy in to their platforms.

5. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

at the same time i agree, but then also i really want amd to do well. imagine the cost of gpu's if only nvidia were to produce them?!

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That 'power draw' isn't just for the card. That's for the rest of the system too. Valley uses a fair whack of the CPU, as does Heaven, if I remember rightly.

I'm not sure why people are shocked it is so high anyway. After all, it's just a 290X with double the VRAM, and NOTHING more.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Oh I know, it said system draw of over 500W. Problem is the 980 drew 340W (or was it 360W, can't remember). That's the thing that matters - the 390X doesn't equal the 980 in performance most of the time but uses 140-160W more power (and hence has more heat to dissipate).

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Too many rebrands enough this card will probably be sub £300 soon and at that price point its a bargin.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

amazing - `omg AMD are goiung under`

we have seen with intel what lack of competition does - run an i7 2600k at the same clocks as the latest and greatest and you get zero differences in the real world

that's 4 1/2 YEARS of virtually no changes , other than sockets for features no one uses..... way to go intel , know how to screw the public.

which is exactly what Nvidia are doing , and wishing AMD to go under - said it before - £1000 for entry level gpu anyone??

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

It is just very disappointing.
    Who came up with the idea and thought it was going to be a winner?
    Do they think people are just not going to benchmark it and hope for the best?

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

The only good thing coming from this might be that price for these cards could drop under £300, which will pull nvidia cards prices down too. Well, hopefully...

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I've seen the MSI 390X draw a fair amount of power in,i think, every review I've read about it. However I did read a review about the HIS 390X over on Techspot and it's power was in-line with the previous generation. So maybe this is more of an MSI issue? Any chance you guys have another brand 390X coming in for review?

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's a decent card, but lack of anything new means little incentive to upgrade. The problem with rebrands is most of the people who might get one already own a 290X, and those that don't can save a lot of money getting a new/used 290X instead.

14. SchizoFrog

I get really bored of reading people's comments claiming that everything is the fault of either nVidia or Intel and poor old AMD. If AMD does well it's all praise for them and people should buy their APUs/GPUs, if they do badly then it's all nVidia's or Intel's fault and people should support AMD regardless and still buy their APUs/GPUs.

If that is what you wish to do with your money fine and go ahead, but it makes no logical or financial sense to me.

AMD are in charge of their own business plans and product development. It was their choice to drop out of the high-end CPU race. It was their choice to re-brand tech for 3 generations while over the years feeding what can amount to as 'basic lies' to the press to get the end users excited. It's a business environment and that means war... no point in sitting there pointing the finger.

If AMD had developed a stonking CPU/GPU, no one would be complaining but cheering them on, but as it is... it's hard to support such unrealistic pipe-dreams. AMD were in a very successful and positive position and they seemingly have thrown it all away.

15. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I don't think anyone's blaming Nvidia or Intel, they are just saying that if AMD keeps putting out lesser products, then Nvidia & Intel will have their markets to themselves and there prices will skyrocket. Thats the way I see it anyway.
    Oh and I totally agree, AMD have done this to themselves and it is there own faults if people go to the competition, It doesn't make a lot of sense to blow your hard earned money on inferior products just because of brand loyalty.

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

THANK YOU!

I too get bored of people blaming Intel/NVIDIA for 'putting them in the position that they're in' simply because they aren't doing as well as they should be or complaining that Intel haven't increased performance as much with every generation. Why should they? They have already beaten AMD into the ground in the performance and power usage fields; so what else is left? AMD have the chance and potential to do something well, but their original BD and PD designs are failures. Bulldozer was slower than Phenom II clock for clock, and it only made up with it by having more cores and by being able to achieve higher clocks.

If AMD stopped jiggin' the pig, and actually put something out that wowed us, then I might be willing to give them a shot. Until then, though, I don't care for them. That may make me an Intel 'fanboi' to some, but I really do not care. I pay for performance, not a half-arsed attempt to stay in the game.

17. SchizoFrog

If you say so Harlequin.
    It's all Intel's fault right? That AMD after (your quote) 4 and a half years still do not have a processor to compete? Intel's development has slowed to a crawl and yet still AMD can't catch up. I don't see AMD bringing DDR4 to the masses with much success or pushing any other CPU development and with AMD's constant re-branding of old GPU tech who is the real culprit here of a lack of innovation and product development?

What is nVidia doing? They are a business and so they are trying to be number one at what they do. So you want to complain that things don't progress fast enough but when a company does progress and leaves the competition behind then you call 'bad play' for being dominant?

How hypocritical and inconsistent do you want to be?

AMD needs a good kick up the backside although I doubt that will do any good as they are constantly restructuring behind the scenes. It is unfortunate but AMD is likely to break up and be sold off and when this happens it will be rather pointless to sit there and point the finger at Intel or nVidia for AMD's failures.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

what are you babbling on about now?

did I say its intel`s fault SchizoFrog? NO I did not.

I said this is what will happen with lack of competition - Intel do not need to make great leaps and bounds , just tinker with the formula.

what AMD need is the great leap they have with S939 dual core - that was the spur for intel - and the result was the core series. This caught AMD in a place which they never have recovered.

AMD then released the Penom , then the disaster and change of direction with the FX series , and the result is history.

but I blame intel for this? no - I am saying what we see with pricing is the result of a lack of competition. £1000 gpu`s and £500 cpu`s , and the socket changes for the cpu is because they can - im pretty sure SB>IB>HW could all have worked on 1155.

so please carry on making **** up - at no point did I blame INTEL and NVidia for whats happening at AMD.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

A £1000 gpu is nothing new in reality Nvidia and AMD have both sold duel gpus near enough that price point.

Intels CPUs have not gained a great deal in price when you look at inflation. I paid around £250 for a i7 950 around 4 - 5 years back. A similar i7 today would be around £30-£60 more expensive depending on sales. Inflation + higher vat could easily be that price increase. The highest i7 9 series was north of £800 on launch the 6 core chip they made.

Same story in gpus. 2 680s was around £850, 2 980s today would be around a similar price point. For double the performance id think in certain titles.

Most don't upgrade every year with me playing less and less new games I find myself even less inclined to spend money. VR will be my next big expense.

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

How anyone thinks that AMD are keeping Nvidia's prices down is beyond me when emails between both companies in the past seemed to suggest they (and I chose my words carefully here :)) may have been doing the exact opposite, i.e. working together to increase the prices of their products.

I treat AMD and Nvidia as if they are the same company, it makes things much easier.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2015
Tags: Add Tags