1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple launches OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I am interested in the difference Metal might make to OS X, but my love affair with Apple has died. Ive never bought any games through the OS X App Store. Utilities - yes. All my gaming is through Steam. I use Steam on my Apple laptops to occasionally play the much less demanding indie games, but now I use the streaming feature from my main Win machine to the laptops.

I now only play one very simple puzzle game on my iPhone. I have pretty much given up gaming on the iPad, although I did get into Borderlands Stories or whatever its called. The iPad is mainly surfing and emailing now.

With the oncoming arrival of Steam on dedicated hardware, I imagine I will be able to dump the iPad. Hopefully with HTC involved I will be able to dump the iPhone at the end of my contract - or sooner if it has to be done! I will keep the Macbook Air for its lightness to do work, surf, email - I think it is still unrivalled there.

The love affair ending is due to Apple doing nothing with their iOS App Store. If I search for RPGs I end up with a load of unsuitable kids stuff mixed with freetoplayANDbuymoregemsFORzeroenjoyment games.

Thats it really.

If I search for games like Civ3/4/5, I get crap shown to me.

Apple is raking in the commission while the games are now nothing like real gaming, nothing like real fun. Its all about the gems, its all about the fake buildANempireWITHyourwallet and get no real gaming in return.

For me, its all about Steam, and Valve, their partners, and getting a real game for my money.

Im sure there is plenty to be picked over in this ranty post, but you get the idea.

3. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

Oh man, I could really do with a good old pokemon or zelda style rpg on mobile.... No free to play, just pay once. Imagine if the phone became the portable console we always wanted!

Back on topic, I just joined the Apple bandwagon (dem student deals just are not beatable) and I am heavily disappointed. Shoddy graphics drivers are the primary blame. Yes it's all shiny but I'm a damn programmer, I know how to make ui's shiny thank you very much....
    And yet somehow I cant bring myself to completely remove OSX and go full linux like I have before. Strange. I'm really counting on El Capitan now.

4. Judge Zetsumei

Judge Zetsumei What's a Dremel?

I've never owned anything apple but I 100% agree. The android (Play) store is in the exact same situation.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Sounds like good additions to an already solid platform (I say this from a position of recently picking up a MB Air for the Mrs - mainly for writing).

4 x faster PDF opening will be nice. I thought the Air was broken when I attempted to open a simple PDF, it took that long!