1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Logitech announces Romer-G-based G310 mechanical keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Standard marketing rubbish. Use cheap switches instead of Cherry but pretend they're better. Charge the same as Cherry switch boards and the rest is profit. I'd like to see these cheap switches put to good use, such as getting mechanical keyboards into the £20-40 price bracket.

3. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

It looks ugly too.

4. bigboy678

bigboy678 What's a Dremel?

While I do agree the keyboard design is ugly I dont understand how you can say that the keys are cheap just because they arent cherry. Cherry has had pretty much a monopoly on mechanical keyboard switches so Logitech decided to go with Omron to make new switches. Omron has plenty of experience making switches (think your left and right click in your gaming mouse, most likely an Omron switch)

Competition even in the smallest of areas is good. I even hear Razers custom switches arent too shabby either. Long story short Cherry isnt the end all be all of switches

5. Yslen

You're quite right, actually, I'll retract my comment. I hadn't realised the Romer-G switch was an Omron creation. They do indeed have a great reputation. It's a shame they're going into ugly boards, I wonder if Logitech would make a 'business class' keyboard, as they do make some equivalent mice and have done for years. Additionally, it's a shame they're not MX compatible, as you'd think that was simple enough to achieve.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Whether or not the switches are as good, or better than Cherry, similar pricing over here will mean a full retail around £140, which is still a lot for what you get.

7. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Impressive claim! But who will notice the difference?

I am rarely interested in 'gaming' keyboard articles, but this bit got me excited:

I really hope manufacturers continue to focus on what keyboard gamers really need, rather than just the usual stuff like backlighting in 60 gazillion colours, response times that noboddy will really notice these days (measured via USB or distance the key travels), and the lack of guaranteed durability when the keyboard is angrily lobbed out of a 4th floor window ...

I hope a manufacturer revives a Fang-like peripheral for when I'm eventually using Steam in bed and the living room, and I need the keys but not a full-size keyboard for frantic FPS's.

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

See, the bit i'm most interested in personally is that these new switches allow full key backlighting, rather than half key as currently allowed by Cherry MX LED parts. (Which Corsair has a monopoly on at the second anyway)

I'm hopeful that we'll see a bit more creativity in the keyboard space as a result, all I really want is a mechanical replacement to my Sidewinder X6, nothing too fancy, just backlight and nice crisp keys to work with. (I'm aware Ducky makes some nice boards, but I'm on the fence about one of those.)

9. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

A lot of the hate/ignorance towards non-cherry mechanical switches comes from the fact most people knew nothing about mech keyboards until they got pushed via marketing and became the 'in thing', and then all they knew was cherry, even though Alps had their own line and were used in a lot of things in the 90's and earlier. These people will also worship the Model M, they may even have bought one, and perhaps realised that keyboard is not the be-all and end-all of keyboards, faaaar from it (it's abysmal for gaming)!

I've repeatedly stated the long actuating, wobbly Cherry MX is NOT meant for gaming, but typing, and the fact is most 'gaming' keyboards are simply typing keyboards with possibly some added macro keys and some driver software. Oh, and the price tag! Heck there's nothing wrong with rubber dome tech at all in it's raw form, it powers some capacative and all(?) scissor mechs, it just happens to be able to be made with such a low BOM cost, that the keyboards retail at what a 'keyboard expert' would pay for a coloured escape key or WASD set! Unsurprisingly, they can leave a lot to be desired and often feel genuinely unpleasant. Romer G appear to be a superior to Cherry MX as a gaming switch, time will tell how they age.

They are not compatible as the Romer G have a better key stem, not just for light distribution but stability under gaming-type loads.

I still think good scissor mechs are the best-per-pound for gaming, and Gamepads for economical use of mech switches and gaming ergonomics. Much cheaper too, the cost of some of these gaming keyboards is borderline ludicrous :O)

10. Yslen

I doubt the keyboard actually has a gaming performance affect at all, so long as it works. It's about looks, feel and price, IMO, and the market doesn't seem to be progressing towards hitting all three of those points with one product any time soon. EBay manages it sometimes though :D

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk