1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla CEO cries foul over Windows 10 upgrade process

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

This again :rolleyes: If you are not technically competent enough to install chrome/firefox do you really care that you are using Internet explorer/edge.

I don't see apple or Google doing this.

3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

When I have to create IE Desktop shortcuts on my Dads computer to ebay, nat west, BBC ect it really tells me that the basic windows user doesn't care about 5ms browser speed difference between IE and chrome. They just want their web pages to load.

Apple is the most valuable company in the world, yet they can put on safari as default on every one of their computers. Microsoft were forced to basically give free advertisement to other browsers, including safari simply because some EU politician didn't like that they had to use IE when installing windows by default.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, the European Commission investigated a complaint by browser maker Opera, then ruled that Microsoft was acting in an anticompetitive manner and would need to address the complaints raised by Opera. Not really a political thing, that. Also, Apple may be rich, but it's far from a monopoly: all versions of OS X combined make up less than 10 per cent of the market. You can't be accused of monopolistic practices when you don't have a monopoly; Microsoft, by contrast, has damn near 90 per cent. If those figures were reversed and Opera made a complaint, you can bet Apple would have been forced to include a browser ballot screen in Microsoft's place.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Pretty much what Gareth said. Apple is rather tiny in comparison and can get away with doing what it pleases.

Enough these days Microsoft could Argue agaist this. As with Andriod included it no longer is the monopoly OS anymore. Apple goes up to about 20% mark with MS and Andriod taking up the remainder between them.

6. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I wonder if the presence of Edge complicates this. I installed Win10 today and the default browser is Edge. IE is in there as well, but you have to specify it over Edge. Whilst I realise this is part of phasing out IE in favour of the new browser, it would seem that MS is it's own worst enemy here as it's trying to poach users from the comfort of IE.

Since both are pretty crap I'm not really sure I care. Firefox is dead to me now that the likes of Chrome have advanced so much. Mozilla may complain and again get the ballot screen like before, but that isn't going to stop them from fading into obsolescence.

7. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

since day one I rarely use chrome over edge nowadays, I keep for some sites that are broken on Edge at the moment, but resource wise and speed wise, Edge.. well no pun intended has an edge.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I used to use Chrome a lot more tbh, more recently it seems to have become more bloated and rubbish. Thankfully Opera has become, nearly enough, a fully operational battlestation. Just ignore the few exhaust ports and it's fine. Definitely better than Chrome IMO.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

I keep chrome around for google stuff that still works best in chrome. Mainly use Firefox still would not gain anything from changing. If your on a slower internet connection there can be some benefits to changing but those on fast internet lines will gain little but hassle from changing.

The benefits would be a 0.1 second faster page loading like I would notice lol. Slightly better memory consumption in multi tab work ( once again this is irelivent ). Thats going to chrome which is easily the best browser performance wise on the market acording to most testers.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9458/examining-microsoft-edge-browser-performance

thats the latest browser test results. Very little difference between the measureable performance marks between all the browsers. Chrome wins 4 tests of the 6 that makes it the best if it matters.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Still use chrome for the ability to sync stuff to/from my phone, that and large parts of the internet is just plain painful on the eyes without adblock...

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Edge works perfectly fine for downloading Opera.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and it's so easy to change the default browser, as I understand it, if when setting win 10 up, you choose custom, you can choose the default apps anyway

type change default browser, and a single click takes yo to the place to change it

Last edited: 1 Aug 2015
  13. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

Pfft, I don't see them whinging over, safari on osx and ios, or chrome on chrome for that matter.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not defending Mozilla after the stunts they pulled with changing peoples default search engine to Yahoo and foisting a social networking addon on their customers, but I think the point their CEO is trying to make is that most people blithely accept defaults, and that Windows 10 changes the default instead of retaining the previous setting from the old OS.

That's because safari on osx and ios, or chrome on chrome don't have a 90% odd market share.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Mozilla seem to be doing their best to be that special kid on the block these days.

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I would use Firefox even if it was the worst mainstream browser.

They have had some controversy and false starts but uiltimately they are a non profit organisation dedicated to allowing people to have a choice that is not a mainstream corporation.

I have long ago stopped viewing Google and Microsoft as organisations that are commited to anything other than their own bottom lines. The fact I ever felt differently was my own naivety.

17. nbaprophet

nbaprophet What's a Dremel?

All you need to do is reopen the web browser of your choice and a pop-up will ask if you want to set it as a default browser. If you can't do that you have no business using a Windows OS machine.

18. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Bad news: Mozilla Foundation is non-profit, yes, but Firefox is developed by Mozilla CORPORATION, which is a for-profit entity. And they don't want you to have a choice either.

I've never used Firefox for any length of time, as the interface has always rubbed me the wrong way(and I've tried builds going back all the way to the original Moz/b).
    I used to use Mozilla until Mozilla killed Mozilla to force everyone onto Firefox and Thunderbird.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't it a little more convoluted in Windows 10? I thought if you clicked yes to make it your default browser it just pops up the default apps screen, then you have to click the entry under Web browser to open a window that will let you choose another Web browser as your default.

Not exactly rocket science but certainly not a single click or intuitive process.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This feels like more of a cry for attention, because Edge is being received rather well, it seems - must be new ground for Microsoft.

If the default browser is a good one, fewer people than ever will bother to switch.