1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 10 hits 75 million installs in its first month

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Aug 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm having trouble getting my head around what's meant by 90,000 unique devices, versus being installed on 75 million devices, am I just being thick for not understanding what makes a device unique?

3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Windows 10 has been installed on 75million devices, of which 90,000 have been upgrades?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Mehdi's talking about unique devices. Let's say I install Windows 10 on my Linx 7 (which I've done): that counts as one in the 'installs' column and one in the 'unique devices' column. You install Windows 10 on your Linx 7: that counts as one in the 'installs' column, but not in the 'unique devices' column - it's the same model of device I just installed it on. Someone else installs Windows 10 on their Alienware 18, that's a tick in both columns; the second person to do so only counts for the 'installs' column.

Basically, he's saying that Windows 10's reporting system has seen 90,000 unique devices so far in the 75 million installations.

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I installed it on my main PC on the day of release. In all honesty I have not had any issues that I wouldn't have had on W7.
    I don't even notice that I have windows 10 anymore at home. It seems to work just fine.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

My desktop is staying on 8 until Oculus support 10, but my laptop was the most painless OS upgrade I've ever had. the only 'issue' I've had with 10 so far is that even though you can disable the pointless start menu in favour of the more useful start screen, the 'all programs' view is still relegated to a little strip at the side rather than being full screen. A sad usability concession to the "using all of my screen is scary! If I can't see my desktop at all times I'll get confused!" crowd.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Are they likely to publish the number of rollbacks?

I have on my Linx tablets, but it ain't going anywhere near my main machines until I'm satisfied with the privacy aspects of it.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It'd be interesting to see the main reasons why those who rolled back chose to do so, and how valid those reasons turn out to be.

9. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I was one of the rollbacks, but not because I didn't like Windows 10.

The reason I rolled back was because the Nvidia drivers for Windows 10 would cause my games / system to crash when running in SLI due to a memory leak. I was not prepared to run at low framerates on a single card, so I went back to 8.1.

At long last Nvidia released some Hotfix drivers on Tuesday and SLI now works again in Windows 10.

I actually like 10. Definately an improvement on 8.1

10. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I've been upgrading some Asus laptops to Windows 10. The annoyances I found so far have to do with changing privacy settings and removing default crap (like all metro apps and onedrive).

When doing clean installs I found out that Windows Photo Viewer is hidden by default, and I have to use yet another reg file to fix this.

One interesting thing I also found is that even laptops Asus claims aren't supported anymore are compatible (namely eeePCs) with the latest SuperHybridEngine and HotKeys from more recent models, as long as the Synaptics touchpad driver is updated to the latest version.

11. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

surely the BIOS UUID would be used as the unique identifier?

edit: nevermind, i've read it properly now.

12. gosh

gosh Minimodder

at least 10 of those installs were me trying to fresh install after repeated problems upgrading from 7 where it took umbrage at my lan drivers, activation key or borked the bootable partition of my new SSD (built a new pc and foolishly thought i could easily use my win7 retail key to easily install 10)

i'm keeping it on my linx tablet as it's better than 8.1 by a mile (and as mentioned the upgrade was painless, though at 14gb i need to find how to shrink it), but i think i'll go back to 7 on my desktop as i do like the interface but am very concerned about the many privacy issues and artificial limitations, and for desktop use i use it the exact same way as i used 7.

edit - i'm curious if there is a win10 settings guide out there yet (or bit-tech could make one !), a quick list of where to find all the unwelcome **** like wifi-sense and targeted ads and how to turn it off - so many places have mentioned hidden options you can only change in registry/commandline and are invisible in settings.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2015
  13. Icy EyeG

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I get the idea, but in my head its not correct because device instances are unique in terms of serial numbers, hardware IDs like MAC addresses things like that, even though they could be from the same manufacturer and the same batch and have the same model number and OS. They are still unique.

15. Gareth Halfacree

You're arguing semantics. If I buy 100 Dell Inspiron 300 laptops for an office building, I have not bought 100 unique laptops. Yes, there are differences - each has an individual UUID, MAC, they're all physically distinct and I can give them out to 100 individuals - but they're not unique in the sense that they are completely distinct. Dell sells millions of devices each year, but you'll notice that it doesn't have millions of product pages because it only sells a hundred or so unique devices.

Put it this way: if you were doing an office clearance and found a hundred each of three different models of computer, would you create three hundred individual FleaBay listings, or three listings of a hundred each?

Another perspective: I buy two orange lollipops from the shop. Can I describe either of them as unique, given they will have particular differences in their appearance due to variations in the manufacturing process? Sure, I could. Would I? No, that's ridiculous. If offering one to my child, I'd say they're identical - because to all practical purposes they are.

16. theshadow2001

Yes, semantics is exactly what I'm arguing. Because things or group entities are unique it doesn't mean they can't be in a group like humans, dolphins, Welsh, Scottish. Which seems to be what your suggesting. When you take unique to mean exactly what it is, for some reason you can no longer classify it.

Yes lollipops are unique so are snowflakes but we still call them lollipops and snow. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

Really it's straight forward, unique isn't the best word to use as group classifier and it could have been phrased more accurately.

It's also strange we've both spent so much time discussing a very minor semantical point.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2015
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Welcome to the internet!

Out of curiosity, what word would you have chosen instead of unique to describe those 90,000 devices?

18. theshadow2001

I would say something like: "90,000 individual models of various devices have taken advantage of the upgrade offer". Its an OK sentence but it doesn't really flow too well either. Maybe I would use something like the term SKUs. "90,000 device SKUs have taken advantage of the upgrade offer" It flows a little better but the meaning is not immediately apparent either.

I admit, its a bit of an awkward idea to get across succinctly. I think the awkwardness comes from the fact that you are talking about a subset of a group that itself is made up of a number of groups i.e. tablets, convertibles, laptops, desktops etc. etc.

19. gosh

gosh Minimodder

20. Icy EyeG

Use the tool hosted on github as well, the guide isn't enough.