1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google announces Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X smartphones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Sep 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Such a shame they dropped wireless charging from them, the 5X would be the perfect replacement to my 5 if it had it :(

3. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

To me there is only one dealbreaker, the 32GB max storage option. This is so stupid I can't believe it. I keep hoping they send out a statement that it was a mistake, and that 32GB is the standard and 64GB the upgrade.

I had really hoped to buy the 5X, but now I don't know.

4. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I'm not certain what the 5X is really bringing to the table to users of the original 5 though. Yes, a new chipped, although the 5 is still no slouch. A fingerprint scanner and better camera... Same screen res, same RAM, same storage options.

Plus Google may make a big deal about the camera but won't put any effort into supporting it technically. The 4 still has camera crash and hard lock issues. 5 has camera issues where it can't launch the camera. These are issues reported months ago and Google has done precisely nothing to address them.

I'm not convinced at all that it's worth the asking price.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

They seem to match the specs of the upcoming Lumia 950 and 950XL so I wonder if these are the prices to expect for those as well...

6. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

Same exact thought. I was really excited for the release, liked the look of the phone but then realised...

All it has that is really noticeable on daily usage is the scanner. And since I have a smartwatch, my phone unlocks itself anyway with no passcode. Camera is great, but I don't use it anywhere near daily basis.

It looks like the solid buy it was two years ago, but the original 5 is still standing strong in my opinion!

7. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I was searching for an item on the ikea site and by chance I noticed that they now sell backs for samsung phones that add wireless charging to them. (Because ikea now has a wireless charing partnership where they have furniture with chargers built in.)

So if that's a thing maybe there will be such for the nexus too.
    I know it might be a long shot, and I'm not saying it would come from ikea, but if they make backs for phones to add it, then manufacturers here or in asia could jump into that market too.

Anyway, it's something for bit-tech to keep an eye on too.

8. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

Which is all very well but let's think about it;

1) A feature has been removed that you have to buy a bulk increasing accessory to restore.

2) The phone is bigger already without adding the extra of a hard case.

3) It has the exact same storage options as it's 2 year old predecessor.

4) It costs more at each memory size.

To me it looks like a massive rip off when you compare it the very product it's meant to be a spiritual successor to. I don't know how Google could fall so far from the mark with this when they really only had to compete with themselves. I am gutted as I was anticipating this so much and got hyped up for it.