1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Warships Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 Oct 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

After a friend and I quit Navy Field for World of Tanks a couple of years ago, we wondered what the former would have been like if it had the tier structure and matchmaking system from the latter. Navy Field had 30+ players per battle, making battles much more intense and, quite frankly... fun. So while accessibility has improved dramatically, it's not lived up to us older naval combat gamer's expectations.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't have the time these days to get fully immersed in massive "life-sinks", so the drop in and out nature of this makes it more appealing already.

4. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

I play World of Warships more than World of Tanks now, and if you have a premium account it works across both games...

5. gosh

gosh Minimodder

must say as i progressed through beta i had less and less fun each tier. you are spot on with saying each ship is vastly different from others due to handling, firepower, turret arcs, skills etc. and the systems are solid and the game looks great, it's just not fun.

gone is the satisfaction you get in WoT if you defend or push a flank, or any good duels (where you can angle armour and position tank to avoid damage while aiming for others weakpoints) and instead you end up lobbing shells around till either one of you sinks or teammates get involved. not played till higher tiers and armour and aiming apparently becomes more pronounced, but by all reports games pace also slows, and that just puts me off.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

OK, I've put about eight hours into this game, and I'm already feeling the grind.

It's fun in short bursts, but anyone entertaining any hope of reasonable progression will have to cough for premium content. That's the problem - it might be fun but not enough to break out the wallet to progress.

Contrary to Rick's review, about 20% of the games I've played have ended with one side capturing an area - because the maps are so big, you'll likely run out of time before you can get there to contest it.

[edit]
    I should add that the talents of your comrades in arms can make a huge difference to your 10-20 minute battles. My heavy cruiser was taking a fair bit of stick at short range from an enemy battleship, and an ally thought he would help me out by moving in close and launching a half dozen torpedoes at the battleship. All well and good, you might think, until I tell you he launched while I was between him and the enemy ship!

I haven't noticed an in-game chat yet, only pre-determined messages linked to the F keys, so the best I could manage was F11, which says something like @#?*#! - but even that is watered down, as the game vocalises each massage in a number of ways which, in this case, was something like "danggit!"

Where's the "Hey, moron! Were your eyes painted on?" button when you need it?

Last edited: 19 Oct 2015
Tags: Add Tags