1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News European Parliament confirms Snowden's whistleblower status

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Oct 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That makes the resolution meaningless. No way will Snowden take a risk in travelling to a country that could, on a whim, decide to detain and extradite him to the states, despite signing up to the agreement. There are a good few out there who would happily do it to curry a little favour with the Americans - the UK being at the very top of that list, sadly.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well thats a fantastic waste of tax money. We've just about agreed on a sentiment that has no tangible implications for anyone. Goodjob! :thumb: :rolleyes:

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't think the UK would do it to curry favor with America, they'd do it because they (the government) and the main stream media truthfully believe hes in the wrong, that "bulk data collection" is a price worth paying, unless of course that "bulk data collection" happens to included their data.

Politicians and journalists only seem bothered when they discover that mass surveillance includes them, if they've done nothing wrong what are they worried about. ;)

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I used to think this guy was a real man of integrity and principle. It took an amazing about of personal risk and determination to willingly whistle blow and sever all hope of ever returning home, just for the sake of making people aware of the civil liberties that had been stolen from them.

However, as time goes on, my opinion is changing. Every time the media threaten to lose interest in the guy, he makes a startling revelation all of a sudden which is rapidly sensationalised by anyone willing to listen. He's an attention whore. A very principled one, no denying that, but one nonetheless.

I don't think he'll ever leave Russia. I don't think the Russians will let him.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Instagib - I made that opinion when his glamour portraits started popping up. It may have needed to be done, but he did it for personal reasons, not for principles.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yes, damn that man - the most important whistleblower of our time. He's only given up his entire way of life and any chance of going home, no big deal.

Imagine him wanting carve out a piece of the attention for himself? The nerve of the man!

:lol::p

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If you want a reason to criticise Snowden, consider the fact that he's hiding under the coat of a regime at least as unpleasant as the one he exposed, and which would probably kill him if it saved them the price of a mars bar. There is a tang of hypocrisy.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You mean in the same way as everyone else whose in the media spotlight glams up?
    Like it or not some people pay more attention to how someone looks than what their saying.

If you have another place he can go that isn't as unpleasant I'm sure he would be all ears. ;)

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

@Instagib & Cheapskate

It makes a lot of sense for him to remain in the public eye as long as possible because the minute the public aren't looking/caring anymore is the minute the americans will have him assassinated. I'm sure he is fully aware of that fact which is why he seems to be drip feeding the media (to prolong being in the public eye).

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

They are the same people that have a big hand in deciding what is right from wrong!

12. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

It also keeps people thinking about privacy and security and government overreach. Every time people start to forget... "Oh, hey, by the way your government spies on you and if anyone points it out they're branded a traitor and put on an international hit list."

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bit late on this I know...

Snowden doesn't have any of the files any more. He trashed his copy and handed the entire archive over to journalists Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras (go watch Citizenfour and read a few stories on The Intercept, btw). Admittedly we only have the word of those involved to back that up, but personally I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The reason that supposedly new "startling revelations" keep appearing is that it takes time to sift through this stuff. The amount of material handed over was staggering. Plus the journalists involved take steps to protect the identity of people whose lives would be placed at risk, and that takes time to sort out.

Snowden hasn't left Russia because the moment one of his toes inches over the border he'll be whisked back to America to face a government which has already judged him to be guilty of capital offences. He's always publicly stated that he'd return to America if he could be guaranteed a fair trial. No such guarantee has been given.

I'd damn well hide out in Russia as well.