1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel unveils first Skylake-based NUCs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

This rattles my cage a bit, assuming the following - I read Broadwell has a superior GPU to Skylake, so why would an all in one solution like the NUC, where a GPU that could game at 720 or even 1080P would be real handy) do they use Skylake.

I like the spirit of what the NUC is meant to be, but they all just fall flat of expectations including the price which is equally disappointing.

3. jeff_vs

jeff_vs What's a Dremel?

As a daily user of Windows Media Center, I am interested to know if a copy of Win 7 can be loaded onto a PCIe 3.0 X4 M.2 SSD (like the Samsung 950) in this thing and experience the full benefit of the speed associated with this combination. Assumption being this has the PCIe 3.0 M.2 slot, unlike its predecessors who are limited by the PCIe 2.0 slot.

I mean, if there's a built-in IR sensor "for home theatre use", one can only assume that a "home theatre" builder (like myself) won't be running Windows 10. I'll be avoiding 8.1 too if I can.

4. CSMR

CSMR What's a Dremel?

maverik-sg1: I don't know where you get the idea of Skylake being inferior to Broadwell graphics. The i5 Skylake NUC will have 48EUs like the i7 Broadwell NUC but will also have 64MB dedicated eDRAM and support for HEVC decoding in hardware. It's way above what we are used to as "integrated graphics" and if you need a discrete card you need will need a larger system than the NUC to put it in.

5. CSMR

CSMR What's a Dremel?

6. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I'd like to see gpu performance comparisons............ that is all :)

7. jeff_vs

jeff_vs What's a Dremel?

OK, well, this is disappointing.....

According to the tech. specs the 6i5 and the 6i3 will still have PCIe x4 version 2.0 M.2 slots.

Comparing the specs for the 5i5 and the 6i5:
    From the spec page: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034051.htm
    NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProdSpec02.pdf, section 2.2.3.2, and
    NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec01.pdf, section 2.2.4.2,
    BOTH state:
    Supports M.2 SSD PCIe drives (PCIe x1, x2, and x4)
    Using PCIe x4 M.2 SSD maximum bandwidth is approximately 1600 MB/s

Hopefully that's just an oversight in the document revision?