1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware An Update to Our Scores and Awards Policies

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Superb!

I think this is a great idea.

93%

Last edited: 4 Jan 2016
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Solid 5/7 article.

4. Gusseteer

Gusseteer What's a Dremel?

Seems like a great way to stop Metacritic from giving a potted version of a game score.

Will this apply to Custom PC as well? If so it will be interesting to see how you differentiate products in a megatest.

5. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Why is it that Hardware Reviews go:

Gold > Blue

Whereas for the game reviews it goes:

Blue > Gold

?

6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

No, the two publications are run separately and have been for some time, despite the crossover in editorial!

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

BECAUSE.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

omg that meme is everywhere

9. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Eagerly awaits the first product to be deposited into the bin of shame...

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Good idea. I give it a solid e out of Pi

More seriously, though, I do think this is a good move. I don't mind the idea of trying to "scientifically" quantify hardware, but I do think that the idea of a "features" score, for example, that's actually entirely opaque doesn't really add anything, especially when different features may have different importance to different users. Moving away from scores to a more descriptive approach is a great idea, providing your reviews are consistent and sufficiently detailed.

The other thing about reviews is that the end user has to decide whether the metrics being used are appropriate for them. I recall a labs test of GPUs recently in CPC (I think) where the focus was on 4K gaming, and almost every single card reviewed scored below 80%, even products which had received scores of 95% when reviewed standalone. There was a bit of a brouhaha about the revised scores as I recall - but the differences were because the performance bar had been raised rather than because the labs testers were being somehow harsher.

We all know that it's hard to compare hardware from one generation to the next, especially as system requirements change over time. The only thing about not having scores calculated using a consistent method is that these comparisons become even more difficult.

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Brendan Sullivan FB conversation reference by any chance? :)

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Reminds me of the terrorist threat levels. Severe, critical, substantial!

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

This is going to bother me to no end :p

I can't believe it doesn't bother any of you :p

14. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

The hardware system makes sense. The software system doesn't as much (to me).

You effectively have three results that are all "buy it" with a large void before getting to "don't buy it."

In the hardware zone the "Technical Achievement" award could go to products like the Cooler Master Musketeer III or Lamptron FC10. Both are products that are neither "buy" or "don't buy" but rather a recommendation would be largely based on many caveats.

But for the gaming section there isn't an equivalent. You either get games that are groundbreaking and nearly perfect, games that are a near-perfection of an existing genre, games that are good but common, and crappy games. That void from good to crap feels much wider than the other ones. It would be nice if one of the gaming categories was as nuanced as the hardware categories.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm not sure that you need any sort of grading or accolade system, to be honest. Just because BT give a product a "Buy It!" award doesn't mean that you should buy it - that will depend on your exact requirements and tastes. Hopefully the body of the review will be sufficiently informative to help you make that decision. An award on it's own means nothing: you need the context in order to decide whether or not a product is for you. Hopefully from now on we'll see more in the way of context and less in the way of semi-arbitrary scores or awards.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I personally think the technical achievement may be applicable to games as well. For example, Crysis may have been awarded it back in the day.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Daaaad the memes are leaking out again

18. RedFlames

It was that or go for the seemingly obligatory '7/10'...

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Cool, so now we can complain that every game gets an Outstanding instead of +90%

You know it is going to be over used.

"Outstanding games are games that redefine their genre, or make us reassess what games are capable of."

I love you guys, I really do. But I know with almost certainty that games that don't meet those criteria are gonna get an Outstanding award anyway.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2016
  20. RedFlames

And arguing over what does and doesn't count as a 'technical achievement'

Tags: Add Tags