1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 2015: Year in Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 5 Jan 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Apparently the Radeon Nano coil whine issue was only an issue on review cards. There are practically no reports of it IRL.

3. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Vault-Tec is right. I have a Nano and no coil whine, while works like a dream.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The thing is, coil whine has been a problem for a very long time... How does AMD or nVidia not test for that BEFORE they send out the cards for review? The whole situation that repeats itself over and over just leaves me asking... 'Why? Why would you do that... AGAIN?'

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Are these actually likely to be meaningfully faster than, say, the original Core i-series stuff of seven or eight years ago?

Current stuff barely is.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You could say there hasn't been much improvement since 2012ish, but todays chips are much, much faster than the Core series.

7. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

People keep saying "oh the new Core ixx is no faster than my old SandyBridge" fact is they are wrong. The latest are significantly quicker. Not only that but have tons of features (PCIe 3, USB 3, S-ATA 6Gbps)

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Also intel seem to have got to the point, with consumer stuff at least, where the performance is 'sufficient' (for the moment( for most people, so instead they're focussing on getting the the TDP and/or power consumption down.

Intel also is trying its utmost of claw some market share away from ARM in the mobile device market (to the point they're (reportedly) giving their tablet chips away), a market where power consumption (battery life) is a huge selling point.

Tags: Add Tags