1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Micron on-track for GDDR5X mass production

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Are micron the only ones producing gddr5x, or are others such as samsung and sk hynix also going to be producing it? If they're only going into mass production in the summer then I doubt we'd see any new non-hbm gpus until q3 this year at the earliest.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

JADEC only finalised the standard on Jan 22nd - and so far it does seem Micron are the first.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Dout there will be a massive demand for it, The costs to implement are just as high as HBM.

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Previous reports suggest it uses the same interface / pin-out as GDDR5, so the cost to implement should be minimal.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Implementation should be no more than GDDR5.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Anandtech disagree with you on that, they say it requires a more complex board than gddr5 currently uses. That coupled with the extra cost will make it just as expensive.

It's not something you will see in a low end board. I'd be surprised if Nvidia did not use it as a difference between the price ranges 960 equivalent gddr5 970/980 equive gdd5x. With only the TI and Titan models getting HBM.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder