1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ::2in1:: Custom Aluminium/Plexi Dual PC Case Update #6

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CharlieCat, 11 Oct 2003.

1. CharlieCat

CharlieCat What's a Dremel?

Well it's time for another project :eeek: and this time I'm going BIG :D

In a bid to save space I am going to put two PC's into one huge custom built aluminium/plexi case.

The main PC will use a standard ATX motherboard and will be used for everyday use...it will be my main PC...the second PC will be my media/HTPC machine used mainly to drive my projector and will use a Shuttle sized board (not sure what form-factor that is).

The whole thing needs to be quiet and will emply a lot of Zalman products because I like them.

I have most of the PC parts allready as the two PC's allready exists in seperate cases...just need another quiet PSU and CPU HSF along with some LED fans and some CC lighting to be decided upon later.

The basic framework for the beast will be built pretty quickly as I need my machine to be operational but the fancy/detailed work can then be done more slowly.

So...enough chat...here's some pictures of the basic framework.

[​IMG]

The framework is made from 20mm box section steel tubing cut to length and then joined using plastic connectors.

[​IMG]

It makes for a fairly cheap and very sturdy basis for the case and is very quick to make.

[​IMG]

It took only about 2 hours to get this far.

[​IMG]

The case is going to be 700mm high x 310mm wide x 500mm deep and the largest sheet of aluminium I could find locally was only 1000mm x 500mm. And as I wanted to make the top and front in one piece I was in trouble. So I decided to split the front into two sections with a piece of plexi in between which will glow from the interior lighting.

[​IMG]

The aluminium is pretty easy to bend. I just clamped it to my workbench and then applied even pressure until it reached the required angle.

[​IMG]

Finally, I added a cutout on the top which will be the window for the second PC.

I have started work on the two motherboard trays and the mounting for the PSU's.

Any comments or ideas for things to include would be great :thumb:

Cheers, CC

Last edited: 27 Oct 2003
  2. myke

myke What's a Dremel?

Looks like a modern building at docklands! Cool....

Think you need a lift running up the side.

Seriously though it looks like a lot of work's gone into this. Are you going to link the pc's in any way or run them independantly?

3. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

should be great, where did you find those connectors and do they make them in metal?

4. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Sounds interesting... So you are going to use that flashy stuff? Are you going to rough up the plating at all? I wonder what that would look like.

5. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Sounds interesting ... and looking quite interesting too ...

Are you going to be running the system off the same PSU or are you going to use two PSUs ?

You really love that alu=sheet stuff dont you ? You use it on every project :)

6. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

looking sweet. :thumb:

Are the drives all going to be mounted in one place, like behind the sloping bit?

Think I'm gonna be watching this.

7. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Wow very very very nice!!!

I love that alu sheeting, the kind you find on stair cases, what not...looks like alot more of this 'frame work' cases are poping up.... :rock:

8. CharlieCat

myke The two machines will run independantly of each other and only be connected via my home network.

Twernmilt Cheers mate...the connectors come from a company called Ross Handling - they are available to order in a silver colour I think.

Confusitron I wouldn't mind trying a few finishing ideas on the scrap stuff I have but it's damn expensive stuff to make a mess of things. I like the idea of getting the look of it having been anodised red...I have also thought of painting it all high gloss black.

sinizterguy I had not thought of using a single PSU so each will have it's own. I wonder if I could bi-wire the lighting though so it's on regardless of which machine is on/off. And the alu stuff is nice'n'easy to work with. I had thought of using something else but could not find an alternative. I am thinking of finishing it differently though this time.

andrew yep...all the drivers will be grouped together. The sloping bit will be the control section and will house two VFD's. Below that will be space for three cd/dvd drives and the bottom section will have room for about 6 HDD's.

Cheers, CC

9. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

Hehe, if you put this on the side (flip it) then it could be a minivan :D with a window and all ;)

10. ModCanada

ModCanada What's a Dremel?

Looking pretty nice.. cant wait to see more.

11. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

cool TV :eeek: :worried:

anyway thats gonna be a big puter :thumb:

12. dezaster

dezaster What's a Dremel?

I like the industrial look you have going on. I haven't seen many cases where the look was carried through to my liking, so i'm keeping my eyes on this one :)

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Looks good, certainly a good way to show off your PC's!

14. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Wow, I love the concept. Looks good so far too. Will the second computer have its own disc drive? The idea for a single power switch could be difficult but really cool. Definiately looking forward to some updates on this :thumb:

15. Reason_no1

Reason_no1 What's a Dremel?

WOW very cool......

FlashPanHunter
    single power switch is not hard to do... one switch split in to two cabels.... one cabel to the main pc one cabel to the media pc... :)

16. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

:D I dont really know much about electronics, oh well, Ill keep quiet on the subject. So if it isn't hard it would be a really cool addition. Unless you only want one on at a time.

17. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

I would still like to know where you found those pipe-connectors.

18. penski

penski BodMod

How about three power switches - left one for the main rig, right one for the little one and the centre one for both ;)

*n

19. CharlieCat

pranks7er You noticed the TV eh...it's a 30" Sony LCD jobbie which is fine for TV but directly above it is a 60" screen for my projector...not that big but then it's in a smallish room...which is great for movies and F1 - as well as the odd PC/XBOX/GC/PS2 game :D

FlashPanHunter Cheers mate...the main PC will have a CD Writer and two hard drives in a RAID 0 setup while the second machine will have a DVD drive and two hard drives - a small boot drive and a 120GB drive to hold DVD rips etc. All my MP'3 are stored on my server which has a pair of mirrored 160GB drives.

penski I like the idea for the three power buttons :thumb: I may well use that.

Cheers, CC

20. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

This is a great concept CharlieCat! Matches other things in the room too (I spy another checka-plate project in the background of your pics... ;) ).

What you have done so far looks good. Any plans to take/show some 'work-in-progress' shots later on to show people how you cut/finished your holes or do other parts of the case? That hole on the top is very well done. :)

You get the G-gnome 'Two-Thumbs Up' award! :thumb: :thumb:

I look forward to seeing more...