1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ::2in1:: Custom Aluminium/Plexi Dual PC Case Update #6

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CharlieCat, 11 Oct 2003.

1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Hmm, looks good. Like the upsidedown mobo... seems logical that way round!

2. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

Sweet

Looking very good here! Really looking forward to see more updates, thread subscribed! :D

Q: Did you bend the alu yourself? If so, could you post something about tools / methods used.. Got a project on the drawing board that includes custom made alu.. nuff said.

Keep up the great work! :thumb:

3. MechWarrior

MechWarrior What's a Dremel?

Is that the mobo from the shuttle SN45G? Or a Pentium shuttle...I know its a shuttle mobo though :D

4. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

yea i'd like to know what model has those nice connectors in a perfect and conveniant rectangle.

5. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

wow i musta missed these updates.... it looks reallly good man.... that case is looking killer...

JW... why did you decide to go from the right and flip the mobo upside down?? JW... just to be original?? hehe

it has a nice industrial feel to it and i love the layout of the whole case so far.... props on everything so far and looking forward to more updates...

6. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

that post on page 2 has to be the most 56k unfriendly one ive ever seen. /me pats his 1meg pipe :)

sould work there charliecat, looking damn good

7. Skullpopper

Skullpopper What's a Dremel?

Dude your off to a really interesting start.
    Very creative.

Just for the record....
    I read this to my wife and she wanted me to ask if you wanted to adopt? Sweet setup man...Im green with envy.

8. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Alright, that is awesome. Now that I see the places for the power supplies I really realize the size of that baby. Enormous!
    Plexi mountings? Sounds interesting, why did you choose that over the metal. Some lighting plans?

9. CharlieCat

CharlieCat What's a Dremel?

Dad I might put wheels on the back but I wanted to have some form of lighted foot at the front.

broots Cheers matey...yes I did bend the alu myself. I'll do a little how-to later but basically I just clmaped it to my workbench with a length of the steel tubing and used gentle presure to start the bend and then finished it off by banging a large piece of wood againts it.

MechWarrior Actually it's not a shuttle mobo...see below for details.

Twernmilt It's actually the mobo from the Soltek QBIC shuttle stylie mini PC...the same as that used by Mashie in his bug project.

STellY Thanks mate...the mobo is mounted that way around so that I can see the window/mobo when the case is in position...plus it's nice to be different now and then. It also works out well though as that Zalman HSF is mighty heavy and now that it's at the bottom of the case it's not putting quite as much stress on the mobo and it's mountings.

Phat Ass Well the rules state pictures...I obey :D

FlashPanHunter I plan to use plexi to mount the drives etc for two reasons. The first is the cost, much cheaper to use plexi as I have some spare. Secondly, I will be added lighting to the case and whilst the mountings themselves are not going to be lit they will aloow the light to travel throughout the case better.

Thanks to everyone for the comments/questions :thumb:

If anyone has any ideas for the sloping control panel area let me know.

Cheers, CC

10. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

if you have a phat pipe, why not change your thread view to a higher post per page, on my page 2 (only 2 pages so far) there are no pics :D that does make page 1 a monster :p but i have a big old cable pipe so its ok.

11. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Same as. 40 posts per page rocks. :D

Case looks awesome CC! Totally the opposite of what everyone else strives for; small, inconspicuous, and light. Rock on. :D

Query: You've got a massive amount of space left in the front of that case, in front of the bigger mobo. What you gonna put in all there. 24 HDDs? :naughty:

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

im on 40 posts per page its alot easier to view :D

Dude this case rocks so far :D your projects are ace :p keep it up

13. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

Excellent, I'll be looking forward to the how-to as well as the development of the project. Large piece of wood, hehe. Well the result is great! :clap:

14. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Lets just call it lazyness :)

Its another of those "I must get round to that" job, and yes i do realise how little effort it takes to do, see my lazyness comment :)

15. CharlieCat

Update #3 - Front Blowhole & Window

Spent a fews hours today working on the front blowhole which goes at the bottom of the case.

I will be installing at least 4 hard drives at the bottom of the case so thought the extra airflow might be appreciated.

I was going to have two 120mm fans, one on top of the other, but I also wanted to have some form of window as well. With two fans this was just not possible. So I came up with a design using a sinlgle 120mm fan instead.

As requested I have taken shots of work-in-progress this time.

[​IMG]

Firstly I drew out the design full-size.

[​IMG]

This then got transfered onto the piece to be cut. I covered the whole thing with masking tape to help prevent scratches and also so that I could draw the design.

[​IMG]

I used a compass to draw the circle design which I then highlighted using a blue marker so as to see it easier.

[​IMG]

Next I clamped the metal to my bench on a scrap piece of MDF and drilled a 10mm hole in each of the four corners for each of the areas to be cutout.

[​IMG]

Then with the use of a couple of bricks to add a bit of weight I started to rough out the cuts using a jigsaw.

[​IMG]

Working from one of the holes I made earlier you can see how I proceded.

[​IMG]

One down...three left.

[​IMG]

That's all four roughed out.

[​IMG]

How all the edges need to be filed nice'n'neatly.

[​IMG]

Once down...three left.

[​IMG]

All done, apart from some finishing filing and sanding, which I'll tackle when I finish everything later.

Cheers, CC

16. CharlieCat

Update #3 Con't

Next up I had to create the blowhole.

[​IMG]

This is a pice of cake since I bought myself a lovely set of holesaws.

[​IMG]

All clamped up and ready for action.

[​IMG]

A few moments later and is all done.

[​IMG]

A little light filing and it's nice'n'smooth.

[​IMG]

Looking good.

[​IMG]

All cleaned up and re-fitted to the case.

[​IMG]

Well...what do ya think ??

Cheers, CC

17. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

Looking sweet there! I'm glad it's not just another window with a fan. Finally something different! :thumb:

18. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

its looking good i wish i could do somthink like that :wallbash: :waah:

19. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

I want a jigsaw :miffed: I love that design. Cant wait to see more.

20. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

you could use a dremel if you have one