1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 2nd monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccxo, 15 Mar 2011.

1. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Hi currently looking to get a second monitor, my current one is Samsung SM2443BW

http://scan.ie/products/24-samsung-sm2443bw-black-widescreen-lcd-1920x1200-10001-300-cd-m-5-ms-vesa

I originally bought the monitor about a year ago so am looking to add a second, would it be best to buy the same again or shall i go for another 24"?

I have looked to see what is avaliable, however there is a lack of 1900 by 1200 mintors about with most being 1900 by 1920 would this make much of a difference visually.

Monitor is mostly used for gaming, web browsing etc.

Budget of around 200-300 same as my first monitor budget, gpu is a ASUS 5870.

Thanks

2. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

Your spending £200 and not looking at a Dell 2311H?

3. Picky88

Picky88 New Member

I would have thought 2 exactly the same would look better to be honest. Also be aware that gaming with 2 monitors is usually hopeless, as the divide is straight down the middle.

4. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Just had a look at the dell seems good though is smaller then my current one, am leaing towards have 2 of the same type for looks, as its a good monitor.

Theres a few games that im looking to use 2 monitors for, even just to have 2 seperate games running at the same time on each screen, save alt tabbing all the time.

5. Picky88

Picky88 New Member

I have 2 dell monitors. I find that a full screen game on one screen will keep the mouse within that game, so you would still have to alt tab. I tend to have a game open in one screen, and then skype/facebook open on the other to see whats going on.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

if it was me i would get 2 of the same if possible. it looks better for aesthetics reasons, and its usually easier to calibrate the 2 to be the same or at least close enough not to be annoying.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes, bu the U2311H would destroy his Samsung, and it's like the same price. Sure it's 1080p instead of 1200p... but it's MUCH better. My brother had his Samsung screen.. while descent image, the brightness is stuck at 100%, because anything bellow it, you hear a buzzing sound. The stand is plasticky cheap, and your hear the monitor plastic crack every time you move it, colors are bad out of the box. And that is not talking about the downsides of TN panels. And Samsung warranty is garbage. Samsung is in my #2 spot in my list of worse warranty service based on personal experience. ASUS is #1.

8. Matarsak

Matarsak New Member

I'll throw my vote in for getting better picture over matching monitors. You're going to spend a lot more time staring at what the monitor's showing than the rest of the monitor and how well it fits with the other one..

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter much about the monitor not being identical when it's only two, ones (the 2311H) is your main gaming screen the other sits there to have browser/alt game/movie running so doesn't need to have matching border heights and colours

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Also, even if you buy the same identical model.. the colors would be off.
    Monitor revision mean different color settings or even panels, also different lamps.
    The only time you want 2 exact and identical monitors, you need to buy them together.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I have an HP 2475 and a crappy Hanns G 1280 x 1024 TN panel thats about 5 years old now. As far as I'm concerned I have a primary and secondary monitor, the secondary one only comes on usually when I'm doing a tutorial or monitoring temps while I game so it doesn't have to be as good as the primary, if I'm working on images or doing any video work its always on the HP. Its a productivity thing rather than gaming though, 2 monitors for gaming is only useful if you play sup com all day

12. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Humm anyone have any links for the dell monitor review?

Ile have to look to see if there has been any new revisions of my current monitor, though will need to see about picture quaility etc and then price before my purchase.