1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 3.5mm jacks for power

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RaptorRed, 2 Sep 2003.

1. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

I was inspired when i saw G-Gnomes use of 3.5mm phono jacks as power cables, but was wondering if anyone could fill me in on a few details i think that the phono jacks have two wires inside which you can use for gnd:5v/12v is this correct? in that case wouldnt it be possible to use stereo pludgs am assuming 4 wires for the whole 5v:gnd:gnd:12v on the molex? or once again am i missing something. Any help or ideas appreciated.

Raptor Out

2. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

you don't need two grounds in the power cable, you can use one ground, and connect it to two molex pins....

with that in mind, when I look at a headphone jack, I see three segments to it, implying that there are at least three wires in there (left/right/ground are needed, anyways, aren't they?).

advisable would be to replace the wire itself with some heavier gauge wire (maybe around 22-24) and use an even heavier gauge wire for the ground (around 15?). this would be thick, though.

3. RaptorRed

cheers man that helps alot i was not thinking why would stereo need two grounds :blush: silly me thickness is not to much of an issue as long as all three wires fit int the plug i am happy as i intend a heavy industrial feel.
    Raptor Out

4. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

You won't want to plug them in while it's running though, as it's highly likely that you will make contact with one power source that's not the right one (ie 5v on the 12v line) while you are plugging it in.

5. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I might be using a stereo jack for power (just 5V and Gnd) too, but one thing worries me - when I insert the plug into the connector (which has a metal ring on the outside), will I then risk making a short-circuit between gnd and 5V? (Thus killing USB port and shutting down computer).

6. RaptorRed

am looking at plug now and i think if y use the front for 5v and back for ground then you will prob get a 5v to ground link when plug in.

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

The way the phono connectors work, it would definitely short out.

8. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I second that. From subtle, long ago experience.:lol:

9. bard

OK. Think I'll use a regular DC jack then.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well..it could work if using ONLY 5 OR 12 volts...

you also need to be careful on what plug you have in each end... if you have power in a female plug, and the thing that uses power has a male plug yoiu are fine (as long as the positive is on the tip of the plug)... If you have it the other way around it WILL short...

I have a 6,5mm monojack for supply to my LCD.. it works great... Even for hot plugin..

11. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

I was inspired by Gnome and some others that have used those plugs for power connectors.

When you buy the plug, there are no wires within it. You simply solder your wires up to the prongs on the plug. With a mono plug (two sections) you can carry wither 5v or 12v and ground. With the stereo plug you can carry 5v and 12v and ground.

However, you CANNOT plug these in with the power on. Sparks will fly. You want the outter ring to be the ground (for obvious reasons) therefore everytime you plug in the connector the hot section(s) will touch ground briefly, shorting out and shutting off the system, if not doing damage as well.

These plugs are beautiful and connecting and disconnecting them is far easier than molexs. For my main system I will be replacing all of the molex's with them.

Hopefully I can get my router's forwarding function back up and running later tonight (by reinstalling a previous firmware) and I can share the pics of the mousepad I just completed with these plugs.

EDIT: Smilodon, excellent point, about using a female end to provide power. I hadn't thought about that. Although its really never a good idea to be plugging and unplugging power when the system is running anyway.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well... i thought alot about this when i made a connector for my LCD...

13. bard

Think about this: before you have connected the jack, which is 5V, 12V and GND, the outer ring isn't connected to ground... (Unless you have connected it to metal on the computer). So you won't short 5V/12V and ground by touching the outer ring. You might short 12V and 5V while they are both touching the outer ring, though.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

...and that might be even vorse! bacuase then you'll give 12 volts to things that need only 5... :eeek:

15. RaptorRed

I think it comes down to this dont plug them in or out when the computer is on :nono:
    If you want to custom plugs for hot swap devices use separate pin plugs there are loads of cool designs with all sorts of configiration, just look at zapwizards ammo box pc for ideas.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

the nicest ones i know of is the new typwe op D-subs.. they come with larger pins or even coax connections... Some also have combination of powerpins signalpins and coax... WERY useful!

17. RaptorRed

You got any links mate? and are they available in the uk? if so where i feel that a little usb/ps2 modding may be in order for my future project. Thanks
    Raptor Out

18. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Well, seeing as mine supplies power to an external device, the mousepad, I had to include the ground. Now, if this was done within the case, then yeah, you could ground the device without using the grounds on the cable and avoid the sparks. I'll remember that when it becomes time to do the case.