1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming RIP Xbox 360: 10 years, 10 hits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 5 May 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Sorry but the Xbox 360 era was an unmitigated disaster for us PC Gamers, nothing to celebrate here.

PC developers abandoned ship for the closed Xbox environment, seemingly with '£$' signs in their eyes, and us PC Gamers were left to dine on the crumbs of sloppy seconds console port hell for the best part of a decade.

..I look back on the 360 era and shudder at the thought of it, goodbye & good riddance I say.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

IMO very disappointing list, that GTA IV is on there at all is a real shocker and says how bad that year was. Awful, awful game that almost made me lose faith in the series.

I'm also bitter that Halo 3 wasn't on the list, instead we got two multiplatform games. How did either of those titles define the Xbox at all? They were just good games. What's the point in this list if it doesn't distinguish between what was actually important to the console and what simply came out on it? I could have been a PS3 owner or pure PC gamer and gone with many of the suggestions on here.

Pointless article if you ask me.

4. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

^^ this!

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

That was exactly my thought. Anyone fancying running the numbers to see how many of these games have only ever been on the Xbox 360?

Seems odd applauding a console for games that were/are available cross platform.

6. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I don't think there were that many games only available on the Xbox 360 that were genuinely quality. Halo 3 wasn't as good as Bioshock, and I'm pretty sad I couldn't find a place to put Test Drive Unlimited, but it's intended more as a buyers guide for people looking for stuff to play on their Xbox 360.

It's the nature of lists that everyone's favourites will be left off the list though.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

It isn't on the list, but enjoyed IV more than any of the other (3D) GTAs, as in, I actually bothered to complete it.

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I read the article and it was fine. I'm a PC gamer and only owned a 360 for about 6 months.

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Agreed article was fine, the 360 marked the era of the always-on Wifi for console gaming (were the pads Wifi? Only ever used wired) which was a downside unless you unplugged it, then more recently used Live Gold etc for the streaming and TV catchup abilities.

For the five years I've had it I've probably only played ten games fully to completion with looking for bonuses and secrets etc but anything I missed I can DL to the One or get it on Steam if there was a PC version.

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

So what you're saying is that it wasn't really a meaningful console to begin with? Then why do a feature on it? I could live with Bioshock being on there, but Modern Warfare is too much for me. TBH I'm surprised there are any AAA titles in there at all, given the normal focus of the game review team.

Aye and it boils down to preference. Personally I couldn't stand GTA IV, it's the only GTA I've ever actually given away, I couldn't stand any of it.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I think the article is fine, just because a game isn't exclusive doesn't stop it being a good game on that console.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You can get Condemned for the PC (I haves it). Sadly it doesn't work with the 360 controller.

13. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Seems largely like you're disappointed that games you don't like were on the list and games you do like weren't. There's not much I can do about that, sorry.

14. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

"Console's had never really supported indie games before"

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I think the article is perfectly valid. One of the paragraphs seems to disappear half way through, unless that's just my browser playing up, and there may be one or two mis-edits, but otherwise I welcome articles like this. It's not the author's fault that the 360 is virtually devoid of must-have exclusives.

If you've just bought a cheap 360 then this list will be of use to you.

The fact I think there's only one exclusive in that list won't be important to newcomers, but to those in the know the article serves to emphasise how few unique games the 360 offers. It's just an honest reflection of the 360's legacy.

From that generation I have a blossoming collection of PS3, Wii/U, 3/DS, and PC games, but I'd already determined I'm unlikely to ever get a 360 because there's not enough exclusive content, and I can live without Halo, Gears and Forza. This article reinforces that position, even if it doesn't particularly address the lack of exclusivity.

16. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Honestly, without Gears, Halo and Forza, why bother with the Xbox 360.

17. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:( I own a 360 and have never played much of any of those... I think I played maybe 2 hours of Halo before giving it away and haven't attempted anything from the other two series'.

Tags: Add Tags