1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GPUStrongarm universal support hits Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 May 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

whilst this should be addressed for standard tower type cases, a universal solution, would surely impose a height restriction on the card, and there's been quite a few very high cards lately.

3. koaschten

koaschten What's a Dremel?

Is it me or is the link to the kickstarter extremely hard to find in chrome, hiding behind "live now" in the last paragraph?

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I am continually amazed that we haven't found a new standard for video adapter mounting yet that is designed to handle the weight of a large heat sink. I've been saying for years that the dang things ought to socket in like the processors do. But whatever, let's just keep dangling huge chunks of metal off an unsupported slab of circuit board that was never intended to be load-bearing. What could go wrong?

Basically, this is a solution to a problem that shouldn't friggin' exist.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hiding? It's bright blue or purple, depending on whether you've already visited the page or not.

[​IMG]

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Here on OS X these type of BT inline links are never very visible. There just isn't the contrast differential between the link and the text it's embedded in. I can certainly see them, they're just not as visible as on other sites.

Sites like The Verge use red as a contrasting colour and that's on a page with a larger more airy font which also increases the clarity. The BBC goes with a heavy bold with a subtle underline - it's all about creating enough of a contrast to aid everyone - and not just those who strictly need that contrast.

I'm sure for you there's sufficient differential between the link and the paragraph text but trust me, here on BT it's less than optimal for everyone. I'm clearly not alone in noticing your links aren't as discoverable as they could be.

You'd never get bit-tech through a serious round of accessibility testing with an org such as The Shaw Trust. That pale blue (you call it bright blue) is a nightmare for people with certain types of dyslexia.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Which browser? Safari? I use Chrome on OS X, and it appears as per the screenshot.
    S'not my department, unfortunately: I can only stick links in things, I have no control over what the links look like once rendered. Have you thought about sending feedback in to the editor, to see if the stylesheet could be tweaked to make the links more visible - adding an underline, or using a higher-contrast colour scheme perhaps?

8. Farsan

Farsan What's a Dremel?

Dyslexia? I think it is more about Colourblindness. I have it and found the link just reading normally the article, but could be great to make it more visible changing the font size, pe.

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I needed to link hunt as well. The colour offset just isn't that great. I'd probably go for a different colour for links or have them subtly underlined (although that might bring back painful memories of SkimLinks). Changing the font size for something as a link is generally a bad idea, though.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Mmm any card any case is a very ambitious claim given that
    1) there's a lot of aftermarket coolers, with some wider than standard and many vent to the edges of the card, so that could block temps.
    2) ASUS (for example) has its own support bracket built into its DCII and III coolers (Matrix is a derivative of), and its hybrid WCing block is a single plate that effectively does the same thing, so is this really required?
    3) I didn't see if it provides replacement case screws for the extra depth?

The big advantage I can see is for aesthetic reasons with the custom engravings. But then again, if you're water cooling doesn't it defeat the point of hiding what little you can see of the block?

11. Gareth Halfacree

12. rollo

rollo Modder

CPU coolers weigh a lot more and have caused no damage. Not sure the point In this. I have a old frio it must be 1kg + before fans and it's been they're about 7 years still no signs of damage around on the board.

Even on a SLI rig with water cooling on top of it I have not noticed any visible strain signs on a x58 board I recently removed.

The removal motherboard tray is not even bent or damaged.

These days with most motherboards offering some form of brackets themselves I think it's 3-4 years too late to the party.