1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Aqua Computer launches KryoM.2 SSD coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 May 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

That's the second article that this has crept into. Are Geil now sponsoring bit-tech? ;)

Is throttling really an issue with M2 SSDs? Would a normal, Northbridge style heatsink in the normal M2 position work just as well? Or is it that the M2 connector is often situated quite close to the CPU socket?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No. Something is poorly in the CMS.

[​IMG]

How bizarre.

EDIT: Looks like saving the article again (after making precisely zero changes) has 'fixed' the problem. Still needs looking into, though.

Last edited: 24 May 2016
  4. Gareth Halfacree

It's *everywhere* - even in Antony's MOTM post on the main page. I've created a feedback thread and alerted t'editor.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The problems with throttling has been exaggerated in reviews, the problem is that benchmarks put SSDs under an unrealistic sustained load, while in real life any serious load on the SSD will be over in less than 5 seconds allowing it to cool down naturally.
    Worse, its usually under the GPU and would conflict with its cooler.

Last edited: 24 May 2016
  6. rollo

rollo Modder

Pretty much, reviews put most ssds through max throughput tests for hours in benches. My own m2 ssd is not even warm to touch and that's with two gpus under water, with little to no air flow ( system has been on for about a week.)

I would also question who in there right mind would buy something like this.

It's like fans on system memory. If your overclocking the nuts of your memory and have no air flow maybe needed. Reality is nobody does though.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

They do seem to put the M2 socket in the worst of places - the most common place is next to the CPU socket or next to the PCIe slot, I'm sure I even saw one motherboard where it was in between RAM slots. All three places limit the cooling potential - but I'm not convinced it's really a problem. As you say, those kinds of sustained loads aren't going to happen that often in general use (assuming the M2 is used for the OS).

Still, I find myself wondering what Geil think about the matter? ;)

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Immerse everything in mineral oil!