1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming PlayStation 4 Neo exists because PSVR "was going to be terrible" on launch PS4's

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 26 May 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Still think both MS and Sony will regret this long term. Splitting your user base never works well. And no matter how they put it that both consoles will play the same games. Getting games developed for 2 different specifications is always going to make one version crap.

Recent PC console ports have proven that much. Look at the last batman or the state just cause 3 launched in.

How long before a dev goes I don't want to make 2 versions and just releases 1 for the more powerful system ps Neo required or whatever the new Xbox is called.

PC gaming has always struggled with high system requirement games.

League of legends and Dota and Wow are the success they are because they work on anything.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Sounds like BS to me. PSVR demos on actual current PS4 hardware have continued to be be impressive in practice. And that includes demos running at the full 120Hz update move (like the luge demo).

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

VR is going to flop anyway, particularly on consoles. Notwithstanding the fact that I don't like the idea of VR for gaming it has been made quite evident by the great unwashed that people only want to spend the bare minimum on their console. Nobody wanted the xbox to be bundled with kinnect, nobody wanted the playstation eye, or the camera, or the move... It'll be just another gimmick like 3D was; there were 77 3D games on PS3 games but only 12 so far on PS4, none of which were released this year.

People will, however, appreciate any benefit in terms of graphics or playability that the enhanced PS4 unlocks.

5. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Oh, now you've done it.

Stanley Tweedle will be by shortly, with his pitchfork and torch.....

6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

3D and VR are two entirely different, although seemingly similar, technologies.

3D was great, but niche.
    VR is incredible when presented right. VR is not a visual improvement, it drags the player into the game.

It is still early days, sure, it may not properly take off until next gen headsets arrive, but it is here to stay. It is NOT about graphics this time round - it is about gameplay and playing differently. I completely agree with your last sentence - I can't wait to sell my current PS4 and buy the new one. (Oh, and PSVR. Although previously I didn't think I was going to bother getting it due to having Vive already, but my friends and I have agreed we're likely getting it)

7. Scroome

Scroome Modder

You know, I'm all for VR. No problems embracing new tech.

The thing that worries me, is the attitude of a lot of early adopters (This isn't aimed at you, forum_user, just a general observation).

It reminds me of animal farm.

All gamers are equal........but some gamers are more equal than others.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

9. rollo

rollo Modder

E3 will give us the full facts, if ps Neo is just a ps4 slim with same hardware that would be interesting.

Gran turismo sport is already running on the existing ps4 hardware.

Sonys biggest problem they can not say to everyone if you want VR you need PS Neo or the price of the cheapest headset just became very expensive.

They will also struggle to sell a console priced higher than £400 as history has shown.

10. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I do appreciate that VR is immersive but that is precisely what I don't like about it in principle. I'm paranoid enough playing games with my back to a door but not being able to see my surroundings? Nope, not for me. I also don't want to have to wear a headset, much like I don't want to wear 3D glasses.

There are some exciting applications for VR but I don't see gaming as being anything more than an extreme niche

graphitone likes this.
  11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

That's it for me!

I was messing with my dads Samsung gear and didn't like that I can be interfered with by surprise!
    It's something I already do to the girlfriends lad when he has noise cancelling earphones on!

12. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Anonymous industry insider vs hundreds of game journalists and gamers that have actually played demos on the vanilla, run of the mill PS4.

13. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Eggy, we can just report on what we're told. I've seen a PSVR run fine, but i'm seeing five minute demos of the thing, and not developing for the thing.

14. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I know MS has the Hololense in development and that looks really good but that is more AR than VR, do we think MS will release a VR headset or do you think they might partner up with Oculus or HTC and get their devices running on the X1?

Although one game I would never play in VR is Alien Isolation nope no way not a chance lol, its bad enough when the alien jumps out at you on a TV 6ft away lol

Kimbie

15. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Now imagine you got the house to yourself. Family gone out. They won't be back for HOURS!

You boot up your gaming beast. Reaarange the furniture in the room for room scale VR goodness. Grabbing the controllers and donning the headset and headphones. You set Steam to switch to SteamVR desktop. Then pause. Listen out for doors opening, floorboards creaking ... Nothing.

With a wave of your hand you move the VR cursor to Internet Explorer and boot up the equivalent of a 160 inch Internet Explorer window ... Your whole length and width of vision is filled with the homepage you set. If this were one big TV screen it would cost £50k+

You enter your fave website ... for when the family has left the building ;)

You immerse yourself in VR fleshiness. So close to your face your mind thinks you are actually in the action. You lean over. Look around. Reach forward.

An hour later, a little hot, sweaty and satisfied, you remove the headphones and headset ...

The wife and wifes parents are stood in the doorway. Been watching the hole show.

Its only a matter of time :)

Tags: Add Tags