1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Overwatch Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 1 Jun 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I wish I could enjoy this game, a lot of people seem to, but to me it just felt so shallow. I guess it's great for people who are bad at FPS because it's really easy to do well and get POTGs. So I can understand it would be a bit of a confidence boost.

The fact is when I had access to the beta I went back and played Destiny PvP instead after a few games. I haven't played Destiny much for months and yet the OW beta got me back into it because I realised I'd rather be playing that gg.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its getting highly competitive , finding unique routes around the choke points can easily wreck a defending team , quite a lot of skill involved to get the most out of the toons - defending isn't just about tanking up with torban or bastion

4. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Haven't played a game I can just play for hours on end without breaks for many many years. With overwatch my problem is I could just play it non-stop, all day. Then when I stop playing it, I'm thinking about it.
    I absolutely love it.

Granted I'm still in the honeymoon period. Will see where I stand in 3 months.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

As is typical for a Blizzard game it has been balanced to perfection. Some heroes seem completely OP at times until you find out what their counter is.

While it is easy to rack up eliminations and the occasionally lucky POTG, having an actual impact on the success of your team requires you to pretty quickly (since the rounds are so short) figure out what the other team are doing and counter it. Team synergy is also very important and you can't just pigeon-hole yourself to playing one or two different heroes as it may not be what your team needs. So in that sense it is very much not great for people who are bad at FPSes as they will get found out very quickly by good players.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

£40 for no single player and only three game modes...Overwatch? overpriced more like.

£25 yes, £40 no way.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Archaic line of thinking...

The game is extremely polished beyond the level of most AAA games released today with slews of bugs and issues, and any time spent making a token single player campaign would have only been at the cost of the core multiplayer aspect of the game. Besides I'd get more play time for my money out of this than any single player game with a tacked-on multiplayer mode.

Also FYI the non-Origins edition is actually only £30, so you're quibbling over a fiver: https://eu.battle.net/shop/en/product/overwatch

8. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

I think that's a good point. But then even at £25, I'm not sure I buy it at this stage. I played the open beta and liked it: The game ran smoothly and it seemed fun. But then I hesitated to buy. I like team-focused shooters, but also solo deathmatch play. In a word, I like a shooter to offer a variety of play modes, to swap between. Perhaps a future patch will update the game modes on offer.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

it went on sale straight away on steam - not sure if its still live but it was only £25ish i think from £40

10. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

To my knowledge Overwatch has never been available on Steam.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no and will never be either (neither has any blizzard gamne been on steam)

its also £29.99 on blizzard store themselves , with `origins edition` for £44.99 on all platforms

btw the only micro purchases are for in game skins , poses and intro`s etc - which can also be got in game from levelling or finding the packs in a map (like finding a new route , oooh there's a hidden box etc)

12. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

You're thinking of Battleborn. For some reason every man & his dog thinks Battleborn = Overwatch when they are totally different games. It isn't in a sale on Steam any more, but the console versions currently are. Sadly people thinking it's the same as OW means they expect it to be the same price too, hence the immediate sales.

As the others have said, Overwatch is Blizzard, it's on Battle.net, it won't be on Steam.

13. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I wasn't bowled over tbh. I was really looking forward to it, but I don't really enjoy the game. Like it's not bad, I just don't find it fun. It's the sort of game I'll only play because all my friends play it, not because I want to play the game itself, Like I could never solo-queue in Overwatch, I tried it once and felt like quitting after just 2 games.

I think it stems down to how I just detest champion-based games. They're so frustrating as you need to invest so much time into learning a meta in order to play the game at any decent level. Not only that but they're planning to add more heroes, which will only compound the issue IMO. Loads of people love that sort of thing, but it's just a nuisance to me. I much prefer games like Rocket League where you have a very simple set of mechanics, but a ludicrously high skill ceiling. You obviously still need to play the game a lot to become good at it, but at no point does it feel like a memory exercise.

14. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Well that's the thing with this type of game, unless you have regular team mates, 95% of the time you're going to end up in a random team of idiots who all want to do their own thing.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Over watch is the fps version of LoL. Played it a lot myself it's fun, there's a few outliners in balance as is typical of a blizzard game.

Balanced to perfection is a bit strong, wow is not balanced all this time after release even.

It's a great game in a pre made team how well it plays in solo queue is another matter. Team on team it's one of the most fun games I've played in years.

Solo queue made me turn it off. Long term they will have to make both modes enjoyable.

Tags: Add Tags