1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Opera hits back at Edge power efficiency claims

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Jun 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Their test is flawed, clearly, as stated.
    Opera enabled ad-blocking, and power saving feature, and refusing to give any information on other options they changed.

Microsoft clearly stated that they are using all web browsers at their default settings, except Opera, where they disabled ad-blocking, as it is enabled by default, to match the other web browser.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

There you go, fixed it for you, just like every company does with in house benchmarks. It just cherry picked results to make *insert product* look better than *competitor product*.

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Is this not the perfect opportunity for BT to do some of your own unbiased browser comparison tests ?? That's a rhetorical question, I just don't see BT doing many articles these days.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Microsoft are no better claiming "up to 36%-53% more battery life to get what you need done." We all know how reliable "up to" claims can be. Personally I will continue to use the browser I prefer, Opera and take power consumption claims with a bucket of salt, no just a pinch.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

What's odd about MS' claims is that Opera on average has a higher power consumption than even chrome, and yet it beats chrome in MS' own test.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, it isn't enabled by default: both power saving and ad-blocking are disabled by default on Opera, and must be enabled manually. For Opera's test, they enabled both features; for Microsoft's test, they enabled power saving but not ad-blocking.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

In Opera Stable 38.0.2220.31 if you look in "Experiments" you will see both power saving and the adblocker are enabled by default. Both Microsoft and Opera should tell us which version numbers they were using as I believe the options have not always been enabled by default since they were first introduced.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Interesting: originally, both were disabled by default - and I had thought that the adblocker, at least, would remain so in order for Opera not to get a bunch of angrygrams from the legal departments of various advertising networks. Guess they're nailing their colours to the mast in a major way - it'll be interesting to see if it pays off!

10. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

would be fun if BT would do their own independet tests just for the lulz

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Independent tests would be more useful to us.