1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate to slash 6,500 jobs despite record shipments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Jul 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Good job they are getting rid of some employees otherwise how could they pay Stephen Luczo's near $3 million pay cheque or the $7+ million he received in stock and bonuses.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Hard drive sector is really struggling right now. Bonuses are based on profit not how many staff you fire.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

So 14% of your staff don't need paying anymore, profits go up, bonus goes up. Logical, right??

The HDD sector is slowly going to die out. Not for a good while yet, but it will.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Automation combined with a reduced requirement for staff per GB/PB/EB produced. Makes sense really. Cheaper hard drives is good news for us, bad news for seagate employees.

6. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Considering that over 60% of failed HDDs world-wide are from Seagate I'm not really surprised. Selling rubbish in large volumes is still selling rubbish. You can trick somebody once or twice, but after that it's end of story.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That's a good point, I forgot about how bad their drives are. I had about 5 fail in 18 months. I'm a WD man now.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yikes