1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Eve Online going free-to-play in November

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

It was way too much effort for me to get into before with the limited trial account, but now I might be able to spend a bit more time learning.

From what i remember, you can buy game time with in game currency? So one could potentially play the subscribed version if they were successful in game?

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yes you can buy PLEX [which are equivalent to 1 months subscription] using the in-game market... so theoretically you can be 'subscribed' without paying anything... PLEX are expensive though so it's easier said than done.

4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I managed to break the chain a couple of years ago. I played from 2003 to about 2012 full time and then from 2012 to 2015 on occasion.

At one point I had 5 accounts, currently I have one account subbed but its just for skill training.

Even with this I dont think it would be enough to get me back into the game.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you pay them money to train skills in a game you don't actually play any more? I have to ask: why?

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Last time I was online I had a NAV of about 50 Billion, I bought a bunch of ingame plex to keep one account subscribed to skill train. You know just in case if I ever went back, Id be able to fly new ships etc.

my NAV doesnt include the value of my characters, over the years all 8 of my alt slots are filled with "decent" characters with at least 60M SP, so they are worth a little isk.

I cant cash out the ingame isk any other way legally so I thought to myself why not.

7. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

I haven't played for a while, but would it be that different to people using trial accounts?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

EVE Online has been slowly loosing players for years. The fact its free to play will not change this.

Game requires a minimum of a 6month commitment even if you do not play and just afk skills to fly anything remotely fun.

The fact you still need 2 game accounts past a certain point also harms the game.

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

This >>> "Lots of people will use such Alpha-clones to harass people in high-sec."
    Pirates, troll's, scam artists, loot ninja's are all going to get much much worse, hi-sec will no longer be safe

10. Gareth Halfacree

Can I just say, I am *amazed* nobody's given me stick for the "insanely complex spreadsheet" joke. I was expecting to hook at least one angry player, there...

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

People are getting used to ignoring "hooks" by now I think. :)

12. Gareth Halfacree

Bah. Remember the good old days, when referring to something as a thing-cum-otherthing was good for a full page or two of tittering?

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, but IMO articles deliberately laced with "hooks" are no better than click bait. Discussion should happen naturally around a subject and not as a result of deliberately provocative writing which seems to be fashionable at the moment.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Plus I doubt even the most hardened EVE Online player could argue that it isn't effectively a massive Spreadsheet simulation, it'd be like trying to argue Water isn't Wet.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Hey. I don't lace my articles with hooks. I put a joke in the opening paragraph, and was pleasantly surprised that nobody took it the wrong way (which has happened in the past.)

For the record: I have never been asked to modify my writing style here on Bit in any way, aside from when we standardised on making the opening paragraph bold and putting quotes in italics. I do not get asked to put 'hooks' in the articles, nor does anyone tell me what the headline should be. The words - and typos - you see are mine and mine alone. I have never written a piece with the intention of being 'provocative,' as that's not my personal style. Sometimes, yes, I have made a joke which someone has been provoked by - but in those cases my intention was to make a joke, not to provoke.

I also don't get ranked (or, more importantly, paid) on hits, comments, pageviews, advertising clicks, or any other metric. I get a flat monthly retainer. I have never been told to cover a particular topic, nor to not cover a particular topic. I have no access to any stats on how well articles are doing; the closest I get to that is seeing the number of views and comments each article has in the forum, which doesn't track those who visited the article page without visiting the forum thread.

So, to summarise: no.

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Water isn't wet, it just has an absence of dryness.

But yeah, in a game where some of the main focuses are to maximise your effectiveness at gathering resources and production, dominate a player run marketplace and evaluate the worth of exploration sites... it gets very difficult to say that it isn't one giant spreadsheet. I even struggle to not see the spreadsheets in massive fleet warfare (partly because I used to use spreadsheets to manage my fleets).

Anyway to the point of the news.
    I'm unsure how I feel about EVE going free like this as you could pretty much play for free if you put in more than 6 evenings a month of dedicated industrial activities.
    The unlimited free time is going to create an open season for trolling and abuse, that sadly is going to mostly hit the industrial side of the game... which happens to be the area of gameplay that needs a bit of love & attention.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Considering, in the days before EVEMon and the like, I used to run a spreadsheet for skill tracking, I honestly can't respond angrily..

I've not subbed for a while, I wonder if my accounts are still good.. I remember two main alts with ~60-70m SP..

Might have to dig the account info back out when it goes free.

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Gareth, you mentioned "hook(ing) an angry player" with a comment in your article, not me!

"Hook-out" and "hooking" are terms very commonly used to describe the act of trolling for a response so you must realise that it sounds like a deliberate attempt to draw a reaction.

19. Gareth Halfacree

I'd say "surely you must realise that was a joke," but clearly not. I shall attempt to remember to calibrate my sense of humour accordingly in our future interactions.

To clarify for the humour-impaired: after writing the joke and publishing the piece, it occurred to me that passionate members of the fanbase may take my lighthearted attempt at levity to heart and become offended. When this did not happen, I was pleasantly surprised and took to the forum to comment accordingly.

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I think we have a very different sense of humour. :D