1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 30inch resolution capable from my GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neox010, 10 Mar 2010.

1. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

I currently run on Windows 7 HP, a XFX 8800GTS G92 Alpha Dog XXX, I have plans to purchase a 30-inch tft, as a bit of a pipe dream come true.

I run EVE Online at 1680 by 1050 at the minute, maxed out along with the Nvidia control panel pushing AA/AF, I have no problems doing this, however of course a 30-inch screen pushes a much higher resolution out.

Is there some means I can use to calculate whether my gpu is capable of the higher resolutions without major slowdown or is it really potluck and a possible upgrade required?

My major system specs are below.

Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ
    4GB XMS2 DDR2 800
    Abit IP35 Pros
    320GB WD Blue Sata 2

Thanks

Drew

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

It might help knowing which 30" TFT you want to buy or what resolutions you're eyeing.
    In general (my experience - mileage might well differ) - the higher the resolution, the ram-hungrier the graphics get. This is especially true for games that scale textures with the resolutions.
    Ergo - you might consider an upgrade to a new card, if you ask me.

Neox010 likes this.
  3. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

Monitor wise I have not yet picked one, I'm looking for one of the older Dells possible which I could snag for the 5-600 hundred pound mark ( second hand most likely )

Resolution wise, I'm looking at 2560 x 1600 possibly ( going from the status quo of the monitors I've looked at )

If I was to upgrade the card, the ATi 5770 looks a good deal HERE ?

4. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Not sure how Graphically demanding EVE is, but looking at bit-tech's review of 5770 it chokes on quite a number of games at given resolution. of course it depends a lot what you take for playable resolution. Might wanna consider something more high-end, or possibly another 5770, if EVE scales well in Crossfire?

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If all you plan to do is play Eve, you may not even need to upgrade your card. A question: what FPS are you getting currently?

A 5770 would be a good replacement though.

6. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

I have vsync enabled so 60fps solid, only in missions with heavy nebula's and effects will it drop to mid 40's but disabling HDR temporary sorts the problem.

To be honest never given Crossfire much of a look, I have heard rumors that the current version of EVE, does not handle Crossfire too well.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2010
  7. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't like to make you sad, but your card won't do. Calculate this, your current resolution adds up to 1.764 Mpixel, new resolution will be 4.096Mpixel (and to imagine how big strain it is you need to count that your GPU needs to handle 60FPS, meaning 60 x the Megapixel count, every single second) - that is almost 2.5x more than what your GPU needs to handle now. On the new monitor we are talking of GPU that needs to be able to process and output 245 megapixels per second! If you drop to 40FPS sometimes, you can safely assume drop to about 17FPS at those moments (unplayable). Same apply to your avarage FPS count. So, either 2x5770 or better still just one 5850. With Nvidia not having any sensible upgrade path for now (and Fermi will be expensive at the launch), I would say one of those ATI cards are the way.

Neox010 likes this.
  8. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

Sounds fair enough to me, Thanks.

Now to go cook dinner for the gf before I reach for the card :hip:

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Hmmm... I run Eve on my 30" TFT (2560x1600) with an Ati Radeon X1650 without any problem. I think your 8800GTS should do just fine.

10. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

OOO, another EVE player :D

I really value your input on this, as shes not too happy on "upgrading IT to a bigger monitor AND the card *roll of eyes*"

:thumb:

What settings do you use? I tend to have all on but shadows, and force 4x AA 2xAF on the Nvidia control panel.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

prob looking at 5870 or above for games that arnt EVE if all you play is eve. your current card will do the trick but you will have to drop the settings

Neox010 likes this.
  12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If I recall (not played it for a while), I have all the prettification switched on except the highest setting of whatever that lighting is called that gives everything a bit of a soft-focus --that is the only thing that makes the frame rate drop. 2x AA I think, but I generally let the applications decide. At 2560x1600 res things are not likely to look blocky. :)

Neox010 likes this.
  13. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I used to run eve-online on a 8800ultra at 2560x1600 with everything maxed out. Running it windowed I got 10-15 FPS (still playable for me) while running maximised I got 20-30fps. After my 8800 died I've been running it from my Quadro FX1500 (7900gt downclocked) with minimum settings and got 40-60 fps. So your 8800GTS will run eve though you may need to lower the settings slightly, I would suggest you get the 30" and try it then upgrade the card if you need to. A couple of other things to mention; upping the res reduces the need for AA, Eve looks fantastic at 2560x1600, try to avoid reduing the res and it kinda makes having the 30" pointless IMHO.

Moriquendi

Neox010 likes this.
  14. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

I have heard similar before, thanks for re-iterating it however. I think my plan of action will be to get the monitor, and then with the sale of my old screens, buy a upgraded graphics card to help handle the new resolutions should CCP ever boost the graphics on EVE.

In Dominion they updated all the planet textures and many of the nebula's in systems, and with the next one, they're doing some of the ship textures ( Scorpion's even getting a new model!)

Think I have that sorted :D, time to go hunt and see if Nexxo posted his setup :D

Thanks all rep's going out :)

15. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

I had a Dell 3007WFP and it was crap, I got it direct from Dell in 2008, and had it replaced three times, light bleed, uneven back lighting, all manner of problems. My friend had an Apple 30" and it wasn't much better. They have been improved since then, but you have to be careful with the older revision if you want to buy 2nd hand.

In the end I managed to send it back to Dell (was not easy, had to literally involve my solicitor and TS) and ended up getting a 2709W and image wise, even though its lower res, its WAY better. Better colours, contrast. Its also a popular myth that IPS is better than VA, in some respects it can be, depending on the panel and age/technology but generally speaking VA has better blacks, better colour representation. Lots of Pro Photo guys use the 2709W for that reason, and for games its excellent, don't buy into the lag nonsense either, I am getting headshot awards in COD MW2 on moving targets at over 250m away with assault rifles.

If you can get one on a deal, might be within your budget, and personally a better choice than an (old) 30".

If you do find a 2nd hand 30" make sure you check it out first, don't buy blind. (i.e Ebay).

16. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

Wow, sounds like you had a rough time, quality of image is important to me, and I have been advised that two 24inch models may be more suitable to me. ( Eco LED ones )

I'll have a look into the model your referring too however.

17. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I've been running EVE on my 30" for the past three years, originally with an X1800XT, now with an HD 4870. All textures turned all the way up, still getting ~50 FPS average. Haven't noticed any drops in framerate that are severe enough to make the game jittery... Come to think of it, I don't recall it ever dropping much below 40.

18. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I have a 3007WFP-HC that must be three or four years old now, it's still perfect.

Moriquendi

19. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

Really am grateful for all the advice :D

The 3007WFP-HC looks to be the one for me, should I need to upgrade the graphics as mentioned here, I'll have to wait a bit :D

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Another 3007WFP-HC owner here very happy with the product. I think it also has an advantage in that it has no input lag (IIRC).

Neox010 likes this.