1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Planet Coaster Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 29 Nov 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I've been enjoying it immensely so far, but I completely agree with the depth points. To me it feels a little bit like Cities Skylines in that regard, there's tonnes there but a lack of direction at times.

I've also found it unbelievably fiddly building some structures too, not being able to rotate some objects but not others is a little bit of a pain. I tried doing a Westworld styled park, of course, with a train entrance to the main attractions, oh my goodness was that a challenge and a half. I accidentally used the wrong length of track at one point and couldn't complete the circuit for the life of me.

Would be nice if they decide to add more management elements. It's nice having an interior reason to also want a fantastic park. Sure there will be min/maxers out there, but how satisfying would it be to have a beautiful, iconic park that also functions properly? Also, currently in challenge mode, once you get past the initial startup the game sort of plays itself like the other modes, which is a little disappointing.

That said, it's definitely been satisfying my Rollercoaster Tycoon nostalgia itch. The game itself is beautiful too, would love to try some of the coasters out in VR haha.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've got one of those, might have to buy this at some point.

4. veato

veato I should be working

I've probably put more hours into Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, 2 and 3 than any other game(s). Ever. It's probably no surprise then that I like Planet Coaster. I agree it's not exactly a deep simulation, just plonk down the requisite stalls and staff and wait for the money to come in. But as a tool for creating a theme park it's second to none.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Play in creative mode and see what you can do is what I do. I have Harry Potter land half built including hogwarts.

The things you can build is just crazy.

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

That's what I've ended up doing, must have spent a good 12 hours just working on train stations and the park entrance village :hehe:

But I do hanker for doing it in the challenge mode and succeeding. Was the same way in minecraft. Building mega-structures was cool and all, but I enjoyed finding ways of doing it in the survival game more.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2016
  7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

It does look a lot like Theme Park (Bullfrog/EA)....which I still have on floppy disks around the house somewhere for PC *and* Amiga! Many hours of fun as a kid playing that :)

Also, Michael Portillo’s railway documentaries are actually pretty good. Just saying :)

8. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I bought RollerCoaster Tycoon III Platinum a couple of years ago in the steam sale for a few quid. Wasn't sure why as these types of games aren't generally my thing. A few hundred hours later I realised I was hooked.

I wish I hadn't seen this article as I now know that I am about to 'lose' another few hundred hours of my life.

Tags: Add Tags