1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL 315kmh + not so reliable laptop bag = ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andersen, 27 Aug 2010.

1. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

That is one sturdy laptop.

Clicky

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

The laptop was probably travelling around 31.5 km/h before impact, down some stairs or something like that :eyebrow:

315km/h :confused: And it supposedly landed in grass, causing a massive dirt cloud... so i suppose the macbook can also survive being washed :rolleyes:

Yeah, whatever :hehe:

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Oh, I have seen worse.

A couple I remember now was one that had been run over twice by a tractor. Still worked except for a cracked screen.

Another one that had been in a housefire. The plastic on is was all curly and charred (and a horrible smell). Everything on it still worked fine. I even fired it up and burned a CD with the customers data using the internal DVD burner.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

315kph? That's about 195mph! Dubious they were going that fast...

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

That's no problem at all on a motorcycle.

Of course, the laptop didn't go from 315Km/h to zero instantly, so the speed isn't as much a factor as people think. It only means that the laptop would bounce a lot more before coming to a stop. It's like dropping it from a low altitude several times.

6. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I wondered about that. Alu MBs weight what? 2kg or so? It would go far but upon hitting something, it slows down pretty fast. Also where would all the dirt be?

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Forget about the dirt (maybe it never reached the ditch, but stayed on the black-top entirely; "side of road" != dirt), where are the skid-marks? I've come across a couple laptops that have been dropped out of a car doing a third of that speed (one was a friend who was rather careless, and the other was found in a ditch), and they've both had massive amounts of skid-marks on, as well as being in several pieces.

I'd put my money on a small flight of stairs over a spill out of a bag at any speed.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Maybe it hit a signpost with a soft mat under it? It sure looks like a single impact.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

They say they have it working again - an impact at that speed would ruin the hard drive, I'm surprised they had to replace the memory and not the hard drive.

10. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

I'm going with it is fake. If it had come off a motorcycle (most of which are limited to 186mph due to a gentlemen's agreement between the big four...) I'd expect the metal casing to be worn down heavily where it had slid along.

11. xrain

xrain Minimodder

I'm almost certain that laptop would need to be scooped up with a shovel if it hit going that fast. It wouldn't only hit once, it would hit once then be sent into a high rpm spin as it skipped down the road.

I suppose it could have hit a wall or something and only hit once, but If it did, I think you would need a vacuum cleaner to gather up all the bits.

12. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

And then the macbook pro roundhouse kicked Chuck Norris and made him scream like a bitch.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

SUPERDRIVE FEARS NOT DEATH :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

14. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

anyone else getting a "cool story bro" vibe off of this?

15. K

K 528491

Not necessarily. The read heads are parked if the machine is off or even in Sleep mode... So it would probably be fine if it sustained no impact directly.

16. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I left my work IBM T42 on the bonnet of my car (defender with flat wings + tread plate) and forgot about it. A while later I drove off, and it came off after 300m when I did a sharp turn - I heard it thunk and suddenly remembered about it in that wonderful sense of realisation you get when you realise you've forgotten your train ticket.

As is work custom, the hdd wasn't screwed in, just held by friction; it hit the corner onto the road, span several times throwing the hdd out into the grass. The plastic casing was cracked and bits missing (gaffa tape solved that) and the ally lid was mashed at the corners and scrathed badly. Had to replace the hdd but it still works fine :D

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Proper IBMs (Lenovo) are built to last. I was at a work site where a guy who installed some alarm systems dropped his IBM laptop (didn't notice what model. Probably a T6x or T4x) from the top of a ladder. Screen open and computer running. He just picked it up an continued to work on it. :)

18. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

I'm calling Bs on the speed.

19. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Eh, one less apple... It just feeds my brazen dislike for their proprietary power connector which the world deserves...

Impressive it still works though.

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It is very clean for a macbook that's fallen into dirt. The impacts wouldn't be that bad, though - dropping distance would presumably only be a metre or so. I'd expect a laptop to survive that (abrasion doesn't wreck anything but looks).

That said, I recently borked a HDD by dropping it two feet while it was reading. Yeah, it now makes very interesting noises.