1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Opera launches Neon 'concept browser'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Old Opera used to have the option of vertical tabs, Vivaldi still has that option, and I believe old Opera had a download manager too iirc. Opera currently has a video pop-out mode as shown in the video, Vivaldi currently does the split browser pages across a window thing too.

It's a shame neither work fantastically on a tablet, though to be fair I don't think i'd be happy unless they were like metro IE for tablet use tbh.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've been an Opera user since Opera 7.5. I've tried many other browsers but, none have worked as well for me as I would like and I always continue with Opera. I will be following the development of Neon closely, I think it will be interesting to see where it goes and how it affects the development of conventional Opera.

Now to see if there is an easy way to add all my bookmarks...

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Yeah, its been my firm favourite since v6. Tabs and mouse gestures alone put it leagues ahead of the options at the time and I haven't seen any reason to change.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nice to see Opera still looking to move forward. I went back to it last year after getting thoroughly sick of Chrome and Firefox.

6. AiA

AiA Minimodder

looks nice, think I might switch when its fully ready

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Complete opposite of where I want things to go, TBH, but I'm just old.

I much prefer hierarchical menus over icons, especially when you have a lot of bookmarks to keep track of. I continued using a really old build of opera on my laptop (12.x I think) and my new computer is the first I've had in years that has not run Opera. I'm currently running chrome, but I'm not really happy with it either.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

They also have a Linux version.

EDIT: No, no they don't. They have a download button on the page that downloads opera-stable.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Loved Opera but switched away to Vivaldi as I started to feel it was moving to becoming a Chrome clone.

Might have a look at this though.

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Looks really nice, i'm using Chrome less and less these days and I can easily switch from Firefox as my main browser. I remember the days I set Opera up as my OH's browser and just being jealous, because I was using Chrome. Since you can do everything on smartphones now I have all the browsers!

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I quite like it tbh - certainly seems quite intuitive from the 5 minutes I've spent playing with it